Staying Motivated During The End Of The Semester

5 Tips For Finishing Strong

33
Unsplash

The end of the semester is approaching fast and before long we will be sent home for the holidays. As a college student, I know the struggles of persevering through the semester and finishing strong academically. It is so easy to get caught up in the hopes of a long winter break, but the work is not done yet and finals are right around the corner. If you are feeling burnt out or unmotivated at this point before the finish line, here are five tips to help you regain momentum:

1. Keep An Agenda And Keep To It

At the end of the semester, it an be overwhelming with finals and big project due dates in sight. I always find it helpful to keep a calendar or an agenda. At the beginning of the month, I write down all of my due dates and plan out my weeks. This helps me to time block and stay on track. I would recommend using your favorite pens and highlighters and using checkboxes for daily assignments.

2. Find a Friend

Accountability is really important, and friends can be such a great help. Find a friend that will hold you accountable. Find a study buddy or someone that you can share your end-of-semester feelings with. By sharing and relating your experience, you will feel better mentally and emotionally.

3. Explore New Environments

Sometimes something as simple as changing up your environment can have major effects on our productivity and mental health. Try exploring a different area to study and work on campus or in your college town. Some of my personal favorite spots are cafes, outdoor spaces, and libraries. This switch-up will provide more perspective and productive vibes for the grind.

4. Remember Your Goals

Think back to your goals at the beginning of the semester. Were you striving for all As? Were you hoping to gain something from a certain class? Reassess where you are and where you want to be. Think of your upcoming break as a reward for all of the hard effort you are putting forth academically. Once your goals are in mind and in sight, a little more hope and effort will be restored.

5. Self Care!

Lastly, practice self-care! Take time at the end of each week for yourself. Whether it's a few hours or a whole day, set aside a block of time each week to engage in your favorite activities and to rest. Some of my favorite self-care practices include yoga, being outside, playing instruments, sketching, and reading. Doing what you love each week will give you little things to look forward to.

Finish strong this semester! You've got this!

-M