Stay Inside, Dammit!

Stay Inside, Dammit!

The world is not going to heal from COVID-19 if we continue to break the rules as a community.

4
Stay Inside, Dammit!
https://images.unsplash.com/photo-1585559604959-6388fe69c92a?ixlib=rb-1.2.1&ixid=eyJhcHBfaWQiOjEyMDd9&auto=format&fit=crop&w=1500&q=80

Never in a million years would I have guessed that the world I live in would experience something like this. I expected some sort of environmental issue related to global warming, or even a nuclear crisis, but not this. At this point, I feel that I am less upset with the virus itself and more upset with the social deviance that is still happening throughout the world. This virus has taken so much from so many people, yet a majority of Americans are still willing to expose themselves and others to the possible spread of the virus. It's appalling, to say the least.

I personally have been impacted by COVID-19 in many ways similar to the rest of the world. I was unable to perform in a senior showcase in New York City, I don't get to walk at graduation, and the professional show I was cast in this summer has been canceled. I completely realize that though my situation is despondent, there are many people struggling with much more serious circumstances. People have lost loved ones, medical professionals are risking their lives, and people are unable to afford to survive. I recognize that this virus has ruined everyone's lives, not just mine. It's devastating. Because of this, I am completely disturbed by the fact that Americans are not taking precautions seriously. Yes, there is an ordinance that limits where people are allowed to go, but some unnecessary businesses are still open. A majority of the places I drive by today that say "open" are NOT essential. I even saw a nail salon still open yesterday. The local restaurant I work at is still open for carryout. Yes, it's nice that I still currently have a job, but I am also risking my safety by continuing to work in that facility. If it were up to me, we would be given a few days to make last-minute errands, and then go on complete lockdown. Every place other than hospitals should be closed. We will not stop this virus if people are still contaminating grocery stores, restaurants, hardware stores, nail salons, etc. It's a difficult thing to do, but it's the right thing to do. There have been so many lives lost and it is so concerning to me that there are still people out there that think they are invincible.

There is also an extreme issue when it comes to government compensation. My mother filed me as a dependent because she still pays for the majority of my bills, but starting May 16th, she will no longer be providing me with financial help. Because I am filed as a dependent but I am over 18 years old, I will receive absolutely no money from the government during this time. I am fearful of what I am supposed to do when May 16th rolls around. I am only making $100 a week on my own at the job I have. I am considering just quitting and filing for unemployment at this time. These are choices I didn't think I would have to make at 21 years old. Many college students are facing the same issue.

This problem will not be solved within a few months. I believe it will take over a year for the world to recover due to the carelessness of its citizens. I am disappointed to be an American right now. I hope the nation, as well as the rest of the world, learns something from all of this. I also hope that people will become kinder and more empathetic once this is all over. A girl can only dream.