How To Stay Connected While Physically Distancing

Even as we physically distance, we can be intentional about how we remain connected.

38
Cartoon of two people staying distances from each other.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

If you're like me, hearing the term "social distance" makes your heart break a little. No matter how much of an introvert I am, I still appreciate the buzz of energy in a crowd, that sense of togetherness that makes you feel known and understood. So, even while the world has gone virtual, here's some ways I've been trying to stay social and connected.

Using the word 'physical’ instead of ‘social’

Some medical professionals have noted that using the word 'social distancing' implies that we are cutting ourselves off entirely from socializing with the people we love. However, we know that with phones, social media and even Zoom, we are still finding ways to remain in touch with our family, friends and loved ones. So, the term 'physical distancing' is a more accurate description of what we're doing -- keeping our physical bodies away from each other, but still doing all we can to keep in touch, even if we can only do so with a phone call. I'd encourage you to get into the habit of saying 'physical distancing,' even if you only say it in your head when you hear or see the phrase 'social distancing.' It can be helpful to remember that physical distance does not have to completely cripple our social interactions.

Making social interaction a part of my daily routine

One of the biggest pieces of advice we've heard in response to being stuck at home is to make a routine and give ourselves as much structure we can. When you see the word, 'routine,' you may automatically think of a regimented, hour-by-hour to-do list with no room for goofing around. However, cutting ourselves off like that is the last thing our mental health needs. Make sure you give yourself time to socialize and spend time outside. I'm grateful for all the ways my church has been encouraging us to call each other individually and pray with one another. My mom and I take our dog on a walk almost every afternoon, as a way for us to get out of the house and share about how our days have been. Penciling in time to socialize can feel a little silly, but remember that you aren't maintaining your natural schedule that allows you to organically socialize with the people around you. So, be kind enough to yourself to give yourself time to talk to others without feeling guilty about it. No matter how introverted you are, humans are social creatures. You're wired to be connected to others.

Getting creative

Finally, don't be afraid to get creative with the ways you spend time with your friends and family. My best friends and I met up in a parking lot near the edge of town to watch the sunset together, remaining physically distanced by our vehicles, but listening to music as we laughed and talked under the setting sun. My dad drove my mom and I to get lunch and eat by the river of a nearby town. I've even played a game of Charades over a Zoom call. It feels awkward to adjust our lives this way, but I think COVID-19 is showing us all that we may have to get a little creative with how we have fun and make memories with each other.

Having to stay cooped up in our homes isn't fun. But remember that you are safe at home, and you are helping all essential workers stay safe by not adding to the physical interaction that, unfortunately, is making this virus spread more and more. Eventually, this will end. And though we can't expect a perfect normal when it's over, the more we endure, the more we deny ourselves, the quicker we'll be able to engage in our daily routines again.

Check in on your friends and ask them how they're really doing. Keep advocating for the people who have been disproportionately affected by this. Stay alert, stay empathetic and stay strong.