I Started A Daily Skin Care Routine, And It Has Brightened My Skin AND My Mood

Spoiler alert: my skin feels great.

36
Photo by Pavel Danilyuk from Pexels

For years I've had friends talk about their daily skincare routines, how they found a new face scrub they love and that they make sure to do weekly face masks to help hydrate their skin. I've heard creators praise specific skincare companies for clearing their cystic acne and condemn using makeup wipes because of how rough they are on the skin.

Up until just a few months ago, I didn't understand the hype. I hardly ever washed my face, which is gross, I know.

Then, just before Christmastime, I ran across an article talking about how by age 20 you should have a daily skincare routine or you risk getting those fine lines, wrinkles, and dark spots we are dread getting as we age. The part of me that hates the idea of getting and looking old started freaking out a little bit (I turned 20 this year), so I started down a skincare rabbit hole, and just a few weeks later I had an entire day and night skincare routine.

Now, I am someone who loves being knowledgeable about things, so I did a lot of research (by research I mean I watched a lot of Skincare by Hyram YouTube videos) and eventually I came up with a list of products I thought my skin could benefit from. This included moisturizers for my dry AF skin, chemical exfoliants to clear the dead skin flakes that LOVE to hang around on my forehead, gentle cleansers since my skin is very sensitive, and many more.

I know what you're probably thinking, isn't it bad to go from not ever using any skincare products to using a bunch at once? And, the answer would be yes, so I didn't. I started with the more kind products like the moisturizer, cleanser, and eye cream and worked up to the more harsh products like exfoliants, serums, and retinol.

I knew going in that my skin would be upset for a few weeks. I mean, before this I used makeup wipes and never owned an eye cream, and I was right. For awhile my face was red from irritation, pimply (which it never was before), and extremely dry. At one point my entire face had chemical burns on it because I used WAY too much retinol. But we got through it, and now that my skin has fully adjusted to the new products, things are looking up for my face.

I have noticed that my pores look smaller, my face feels softer, my morning undereye bags are almost nonexistent, and my complexion has evened out a lot. I can tell my skin is happier than it has ever been.

Adding skincare into my normal routine has also made me feel happier. Spending some time each morning and night to just take care of myself has definitely lifted up my mood. I've noticed that I am now a little happier to wake up in the morning and am feeling a bit more relaxed before bed each night.

I would have never thought that doing something as simple as cleaning or moisturizing my face each day would make such a difference, but it has, and I fully recommend starting a skincare routine to anyone and everyone. Even after only a few weeks my mood and the look of my skin have both brightened up and I can only imagine how they'll look and feel a couple of months from now.