The Stanford Case: It's A Call To Action

Let's fix the way that we talk about sexual assault.

4
Global News

Most of us know all about the Stanford rape case that essentially ended with no justice for the survivor and her loved ones. This entire trial and story have gauged outrage from myself, and a huge group of supporters of the victim.

I was sexually violated my freshman year of college and my attacker walks free to this day. I had no alibi, no proof of who it was. I was also sexually coerced by someone I thought was a friend that year; to this day, most of my friends do not know the whole story and shamed me for that night's occurrences. My stories are only two of millions. Sexual assault, rape, and violations happen every single day to thousands of men, women, and children. Survivors are often afraid to come forward, and this current trial is just one example of why we feel the need to hide.

We shouldn't carry this shame and embarrassment. Brock Turner is a shining example of someone who should feel that deep shame, the humiliation, and the guilt. Yet his father released a defense of him, basically saying that since the offense was only 20 minutes, the punishment is a little too severe. Both of my incidents took less than 20 minutes, Mr. Turner. In those 15 to 20 minutes, it felt like a lifetime of suffering. These incidents are something that I will carry for my whole life. I will always be sure to keep mace in my purse, and a pocketknife when I'm out alone. I will always continue to look over my shoulder when someone walks a little too closely, and some nights I wake up crying thanks to the nightmares that those nights have left me with.

I am nearly positive that the men who did this to me don't suffer the guilt that I carry. They walked away unscathed and unpunished. In fact, 97 out of 100 rapists do. Only THREE of these rapists out of 100 spend even a mere 24 hours in prison. This means that Brock Turner is receiving more punishment than 97 percent of sexual attackers receive. This should infuriate all of us if we think that he got off too easily. What's worse is that most rapists are repeat offenders, thus leaving the public more at risk to be assaulted. If this is not a scream to the public that our system has failed us, then I don't know what is. Our country can make laws and pass bills accusing trans women of being men simply disguised to rape us in public bathrooms, and yet that same system is incapable of serving justice to a rapist who was caught in the act, and found guilty on all three counts by all 12 jurors. His life, his future, and his mental well-being are put at a higher value than his victim's life, future, and mental health. His 20 minutes of action were her lifetime of suffering. He will walk free after six (probably three) months, while she will never be free from that night. Again: our system has failed us.

But there is a silver lining through all of this. Most everything I've seen on social media about this case has shared the same thoughts that the survivor deserves more justice. All political, religious, and social beliefs aside, mostly everyone can agree that sexual assault is wrong. The survivor, in her beautifully written letter, shows a kind of resilience that we can all admire. She states her standing in solidarity with other survivors. For the first time in a while after reading her letter, I felt not so alone in my experiences. She also mentions and thanks the two students who found her, caught her attacker, and notified the authorities. These unsung heroes do exist, and they had an impact on her world. They make the world a little brighter. People are also voicing their outrage, and their support of the survivor. This may be the point that we reach in order to change the system. Our voices, our fight, and our solidarity mean something to both the system and to survivors.

Brock Turner, I hope that someday you understand that it was not alcohol and promiscuity that affected your life. It was your own choice, your own decision to hurt this woman. You dehumanized her. I hope you regret your decision and I hope that you feel honest remorse. I hope you take responsibility for your actions and that you make some attempt to make amends.

And to the brave survivor, I hope you continue to be an advocate for yourself. Your resilience and strength is incredible. You've given so many of us a voice, and we stand with you.

America, it is time for us to stop victim blaming and shaming. It is time for us to stop asking what she was wearing, how much she had to drink, what she said to make him think it was consensual, whom she slept with in the past. Stop saying it's a damn shame she ruined his life, she lied, but he was such a good swimmer, we are being too harsh on him. His life does not mean more than his victim's. Stop putting the public at risk by letting these predators walk free. It is time to respect the survivors. Listen to our stories. Don't make us hide.