Taking A Stand Against Racism

Taking A Stand Against Racism

Are you ready?

307
Taking A Stand Against Racism

Racism. A topic that has always been an issue in society. Racism is something that we are all afraid to talk about. It shouldn't be something we are afraid of. It should be a topic of discussion that is open for all. It should be a topic we can discuss and debate about without ourselves being called racist. Racism is a topic that needs to be talked about.

In grade school, when learning about life lessons, the one that is focused on the most is, "Treat others the way you want to be treated." For some this life lesson sticks with them, but for some, they never seem to learn it. For those who don't learn it, they go through life with a hatred for people and sometimes that hatred brings them into racism whether it is racism toward African Americans, Whites, or even Asians. All around, there are several ethnicities and at one point in time, we have been heard nasty comments about our ethnicity or we have heard hateful comments placing us into stereotypes.

I, for example, never faced the excruciating reality of facing racism, at least in high school. It wasn't until I reached college that I was truly learning about how cruel the human race is.

I cannot pinpoint exactly what I said that caused my "friend" to say this but it had something to deal with the fact of my opinions on the recent shootings and lootings in Furguson. When I explained my opinion, my "friend" instantly said, "Oh, you're such a racist." This jolted me back some. I explained to her that I wasn't a racist. I mean for crying out loud, my best friend is African American, she said I made that comment because every white person when facing being called a racist talks about their African American friends. However, I told this person to take a look at where I grew up. Then I realized, I shouldn't have to explain myself to this person to show I'm not racist, because I'm the furthest from that.

While I've had many encounters with people of all ethnicities tell me that I'm racist because I am white, nothing has ever hurt me more than when I have so called "friends" making racist remarks toward African Americans or even members of family. For instance, my brother went to prom with an African American girl and comments about this mixed race date flew everywhere. There were some commenting that it was odd for a white male to go to prom with an African American girl. Stereotypical comments were being typed out and it hurt to read those. These people have no idea who this girl is, but they are judging her and placing her into all these categories without even getting to know her.

Another instance I've witnessed is when "friends" get really drunk and their true self appears. A friend of mine got braids and people instantly started calling her, "Aunt Jemima. Whoopi Goldberg," and several other names. With the constant hatred toward her hair, she cut it all off because she couldn't take the comments anymore. My friend and I went over to a friend's house where many of our other friends were. They were all drinking and soon the remarks came. These people started saying extremely controversial remarks toward African Americans and it was time that my friend and I left. She stated I didn't have to leave and should stay and have fun. I simply stated I didn't want to be around people like that. I valued her friendship more than theirs and I couldn't just hang out with people who belittled those of another race

Racism is a problem. If you think it isn't, you need to open your eyes. Racism is hurting our world, it's hurting us. Stop making racist comments toward African Americans, Whites, Asians, or anyone for that matter. I am lucky enough to have been raised in a household that taught me to love one by the kindness in their hearts and not the color of their skin. The color of a person should never matter, but it didn't mean you can poke fun at it either, whether friend or not. We are a generation of change, so step back and take a look at yourself and acknowledge the things you say. Are you ready to stand against racism?