10 Stages of Packing for College

10 Stages of Packing for College

It's that time of year again...

4
10 Stages of Packing for College
Google Images

So it's gotten to the dreaded point of the summer where we must face the inevitable-packing for college. Now, whether it's your first time heading off or your a veteran of the move it's still a daunting task. I'm sure I won't be the only one to admit that every summer I tell myself I'm going to be so prepared and start packing little by little and yet somehow I manage to find myself shoving everything into the car on "Move In Day" and slightly hating myself for the disaster I created. At the end of the day, every one of us has fallen these stages of packing.

Stage 1. I'm Ready!

This is the very early stage of the summer where you make a pact with yourself to be organized and refuse to be one of 'those' people who wait until the day of to pack everything away. You make your checklists, you might even go as far as grabbing a few suitcases you find lying around in your basement.

Stage 2. Oh...um...where do I begin?

Ah, and this I find is the worst stage to hit. When you have no idea where to even begin so you sit on the floor staring at all your clothes and nonsense things and wonder where would be the easiest place to start so you don't want to rip your hair out just yet.

Stage 3. Oh where did this come from?! I forgot I had this!

We've all be there. We're searching through old clothes, packed away bins in the far corner of the basement or even just the junk draw of a dresser and we come across things we thought we'd lost or things we just completely forgot about.

Stage 4. F*ck it. I can go naked

I tend to hit this stage quite frequently in my every day life however, when I'm packing I find myself living in this stage for weeks at a time. This where you throw your clothes in the air and say fuck it because who knew you'd inquire 50 scarves in a matter of 18 years? Or that picking your 'favorite' clothes to take to school feels like your choosing a favorite child.

Stage 5. How do I own this much?!

When you've reached the point in packing when you have no idea how one room packed away takes so many god damn boxes and suitcases then you've entered this stage. It's truly remarkable how it feels like you have nothing to wear and yet manage four suitcases of clothes and the closet still looks untouched. I always felt like my room was just clothes and a bed but the two jam packed cars that follow my route up to school clearly state other wise.

Stage 6. Do I really need this?? But what if I say no and then I do need it...

It's so hard when it comes to this stage. I always feel like I'm going to leave something important behind which causes me to over pack and then secretly hating myself. How does one accomplish being a minimalist because I think I need some advice?

Stage 7. No. I need to do this. I need to be organized. I GOT THIS.

At this point you've relapsed stage 4 about a few more times then you're willing to admit and after each time you revert to this stage of "I GOT THIS" but who are we kidding no one really "has it" we just all like to tell ourselves that to try and feel better on the inside.

Stage 8. How the hell is it move in day already. Throw it ALL in there!

Now whether anyone wants to admit it or not, regardless of how well you pack previous to move in day we somehow still manage to throw last minute things into the car hoping that with everybody just grabbing and tossing the odds of forgetting something becomes a little more miniscule.

Stage 9. Uh this isn't going to fit…

Everything is packed! Woohoo! Now comes the fun part of taking everything you've packed (whether last minute or actually thoroughly packed days before) into a car or two like in my case. This is where you try to make sure that you can still see out the rearview mirror but totally testing your limits of how much can fit in the actual car.

Stage 10. Damn I forgot I have to unpack all this shit

The sad realization that after that tiresome process to pack your whole 18 years up and move it somewhere foreign you now have to unpack it all just to start all over again in 7 months.