It's fall: the season for cooler weather, changing of leaves, sweaters, college football, and...HOMECOMING! This time of year calls for hard work, dedication, and a little friendly competition. After only a few months of settling into the new school year, organizations at universities across the country come together to participate in this week of festivities. Organizations create a homecoming float as well as take part in activities spread out throughout the week in hopes to win various competitions. After sleepless nights, weeks of planning, and exhaustion, Homecoming week draws near. One might think that it's smooth sailing from this point on, but the stress has just begun. When you feel like giving up, just know that you're not alone and students across the country are experiencing the following stages throughout this week:
1. When you're a new member and someone has to explain to you what a pomp is.
5. Your hands begin to go numb from folding paper for hours.
6. You see people across the room not pomping when you are.
7. When your friend gets the aux cord at a pomping session.
10. Meeting your pomping partner.
14. When you're ready to give up and it's only the second day.
16. You've worked on the float for so long yet you feel like there's been no progress.
18. Seeing all these pieces of paper are starting to make a design.
21. You realize all your work was worth it when you see your float go by
Choosing the caption for your Instagram can be almost as challenging as deciding on a filter. So, if you’re ready to post that Insta, but don’t know what to say, here are 44 lyrics for when you need an Instagram caption.
1. “Be young, be dope, be proud.” - Lana Del Rey, "American"
2. “I can’t really see another squad tryna cross us.” - Drake, "No Tellin’"
3. “Darling I’m a nightmare dressed like a daydream.” - Taylor Swift, "Blank Space"
4. “I’m throwin' shade like it’s sunny.” - Nicki Minaj, "Want Some More"
5. “I’m gonna live like tomorrow doesn't exist.” - Sia, "Chandelier"
6. “Find me where the wild things are.” - Alessia Cara, "Wild Things"
7. “If I was you, I'd wanna be me too.” - Meghan Trainor, "Me Too"
8. “Sweet like candy to my soul, sweet you rock and sweet you roll.” - Dave Matthews Band, "Crash Into Me"
9. “I swear this life is like the sweetest thing I’ve ever known.” - Drake, "Over"
10. “I hope you never lose your sense of wonder.” - Lee Ann Womack, "I Hope You Dance"
11. “But if you close your eyes, does it almost feel like nothing’s changed at all? - Bastille, "Pompeii"
12. “You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one.” - John Lennon, "Imagine"
13. “You can’t choose what stays and what fades away.” - Florence + The Machine, "No Light, No Light"
14. “She acts like summer and walks like rain.” - Train, "Drops of Jupiter
15. “She’s a good girl, loves her mama. Loves Jesus, and America too.” - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, "Free Fallin’"
16. “Lights will guide you home, and ignite your bones.” - Coldplay, "Fix You"
17. “Say you’ll remember me.” - Taylor Swift, "Wildest Dreams"
18. I’ve got thick skin and an elastic heart.” - Sia, "Elastic Heart"
19. “Give me the beat boys and free my soul.” - Uncle Kracker, "Drift Away"
20. “One of these days the clocks will stop, and time won’t mean a thing.” - Foo Fighters, "These Days"
21. “Sunshine mixed with a little hurricane.” - Brad Paisley, Perfect Storm
22. “You are the piece of me I wish I didn’t need.” Zedd feat. The Foxes, "Clarity"
23. “Her mind is Tiffany twisted, she’s got the Mercedes bends.” - The Eagles, "Hotel California"
24. “Life imitates art.” - Lana Del Rey, "Gods And Monsters"
25. “Nobody said it was easy, no one said it would be this hard.” - Coldplay, "The Scientist"
26. “You’re gonna keep my soul, it was yours to have long ago.” - State Radio, "Keepsake"
27. “Celebrate we will ‘cause life is short but sweet for certain.” - Dave Matthews Band, "Two Step"
28. “It’s always darkest before the dawn.” - Florence + The Machine, "Shake it Out"
29. “There are many things I’d like to say to you but I don’t know how.” - Oasis, "Wonderwall"
30. “You say you want a revolution, well you know we all wanna change the world.” - The Beatles, "Revolution"
31. “God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.” Billy Currington, "People Are Crazy"
32. “Well my heart is gold, and my hands are cold.” - Halsey, "Gasoline"
33. “I don’t want to be heard, I want to be listened to.” - Twenty One Pilots, "Forest"
34. “Where you invest your love, you invest your life.” - Mumford and Sons, "Awake My Soul"
35. “I think I need a sunrise, I’m tired of the sunset.” - Augustana, "Boston"
36. “All of these lines across my face tell you the story of who I am.” - Brandi Carlile, "The Story"
37. ‘Ready or not, here I come. Where you at? The night is young.” - Bridgit Mendler, "Ready or Not"
38. “In the land of Gods and Monsters, I was an angel.” - Lana Del Rey, "Gods And Monsters"
39. “Turns out not where, but who you’re with that really matters.” - Dave Matthews Band, "Best Of What’s Around"
40. “Know yourself, know your worth.” - Drake, "0 to 100"
41. “I’m little but I’m coming for the crown.” - Lorde, "Still Sane"
42. “Didn’t they tell you I was a savage?” - Rihanna, "Needed Me"
43. “Hands in the air like we don’t care.” - Miley Cyrus, "We Can’t Stop"
44. “I’ma keep running because a winner don’t quit on themselves.” - Beyonce, "Freedom"
When I went alumna from my sorority, it was all a bittersweet experience. Of course it is fun being able to start a new chapter in your life, but leaving behind the women that helped you discover some of the best parts about yourself is extremely hard to do. In the short time that I have been an alumnae, I have discovered all that they don't tell you about no longer being an active member in your chapter.
1. No more notifications.
Gone are the days when you had 15 notifications from your Facebook page, 38 missed messages from the group chat, and a reminder from the Calendar app that you've got an event tonight at seven. In all reality, it sucks not having so many notifications anymore because your phone feels like a dead zone.
2. Your closet won't be full of t-shirts anymore.
Although now you have room for all those business casual clothes for your new big girl job, it also sort of sucks that you won't be getting any of the cutesy shirts that your sisters design for events.
3. You don't have to worry about buying the perfect recruitment outfits.
Don't get me wrong, I loved having a new outfit to wear in my closet, but sometimes it was stressful finding the exact right outfit or one that you felt fit your colors perfectly.
4. You have so much free time, but you also have nothing to do.
I was so excited to have a little extra free time, but then also realized I had nothing better to do and missed the movie nights I spent at the house, little adventures at midnight with the squad, and getting into shenanigans with my girls.
5. You don't know any of the new members, so events even as an alumna feel strange.
It also affects Big/Little, even when you come back for family line pics because you don't know who all the new littles are. It can be strange, but also exciting knowing that you are getting to share this legacy with many new sisters.
6. You get major FOMO when you see sisters are planning events.
Summer Cabin trip? Big/Little Reveal planning? Recruitment photo shoot? I wish I could still be a part of everything! Although I don't miss meetings, I do miss all of the fun photo ops with my girls.
7. You're saving lots of money not paying dues.
You got to do some pretty cool things with that money well spent, but in all reality, I can now spend that money on saving for a trip or treating myself to an occasional spa day.
8. Your sisters still got your back, even though you don't get to see them much anymore.
Just recently I tweeted about being stressed about starting my big girl life, and I had so many of my sisters on there in support, telling me "You got this!" and how excited they were for me. I felt the love just as I did when I was active.
9. You REALLY miss your sisters...but like, REALLY.
It feels physically painful sometimes when you think about not being able to see your sisters as often anymore. It feels like a piece of my heart is missing. But, boy, am I excited for the weekend trips when we are a little bit older to live it up like we're in college again.
10. You get to watch your sisters live their best lives while you get to live yours.
They're excited for me, while I can be just as excited for them. I can't wait to watch them grow more into the people they will be someday.