The Stages Of Becoming An Official Adult

College was all fun and games, now it's time to actually grow up.

313

With my graduation approaching, the idea of being an "official adult" is becoming more of a reality. I know what you're thinking, Anna, you're 22 years old, you're already an adult. When I say "official adult", I mean a self-sufficient, employed, thriving person that's in a position to make major life decisions. So, yes, I'm an adult, but I'm just now becoming an "official adult."

1. Choosing your city.

Wow. This is very intimidating. You've spent basically your whole life wherever your family lives or wherever your college is. Now it's time for you to choose a city based only on the job market and your personal preferences. You're not constrained to anything! Move to Shanghai if you want! This is probably the most exciting but the scariest decision you will make during your "adulting" process.

2. Finding a job.

Yes, I'm employed right now, but I'm talking about that first job after graduation where you are doing something related to the degree you graduated with. Luckily, I've already made it through this phase, but I know for many, this is the most terrifying part of the whole "adulting" process.

3. Apartment/Home Search

Okay, you know your city. You've got your job. Now you've gotta find somewhere to live. This is also a bit scary, but it is super fun! I recently signed my lease for my new apartment and I can't wait to move in! My tips for you are make a list of your must-haves, wants, and "it'd be nice ifs" and take it with you to tours. Tour every complex you think looks like it might fit your preferences! I toured 15 apartments in 1 day, and the one I chose wasn't even on my list to visit! I just popped in and fell in love with it! Make sure you consider proximity to work, grocery shopping/food nearby, laundry situation, security, etc. And have fun!

4. Budget Time!

This was kind of fun for me, actually. I like structure and organization, so knowing EXACTLY how much I had to spend on what, and then seeing how much I had leftover because of my "adult job", made this a super fun and not too stressful part of the process.

5. Move-In!

Graduation is either already here or quickly approaching and it's time to start packing up and moving. This is SO FUN! Try to stay organized for your own sanity, but seriously just have fun and enjoy the process. Life is about to get crazy, so just enjoy getting to start fresh in a new city and new apartment with a new job!