There's FINALLY A Stage Adaptation Of 'Moulin Rouge' Coming To Life

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return." - Christian, Moulin Rouge.

124
moulinrouge_movie Instagram

Some words from a movie that I was first introduced to in high school have stuck with me for quite some time. "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return," are the eternal words spoken by Christian in Baz Luhrmann's "Moulin Rouge!" . Since my high school days, I have hoped and prayed that someone would adapt a stage version of "Moulin Rouge!". My prayers were answered, and this summer the magic will come to life.

The Emerson Colonial Theatre in Boston will play host to this pre-Broadway run of the 2001 film. The best news? Aaron Tveit, Karen Olivo, and Danny Burstein will star in the production as Christian, Satine, and Harold Zidler, respectively. Ewan McGregor, Nicole Kidman, and Jim Broadbent played the roles in the film. The story follows a young writer, Christian, as he falls in love with a courtesan, Satine, at the Moulin Rouge in France. I am thrilled about this production because the quality of talent involved is second to none. I already have my tickets (shout out to my friend Jen for saving my life and helping me order them) because I can't miss this opportunity.

The film has always held a special place in my heart because it has a beautiful narrative surrounding the importance of (freedom, beauty, truth and) love. Essentially, the message in the film is that love is the only thing that matters. The story touches on the power of jealousy and forgiveness and how we balance following our hearts and seeking security. The pop tunes intermixed throughout the film are also quite catchy. Though somewhat trippy, the captivating story simply touches you when you watch it.

Another critical element of "Moulin Rouge!" is its message about the importance of writing in telling a story when you have no other way to tell it. The characters prioritize art in their lives and are inspired by the relationships around them. This is absolutely the perfect time to be producing this show because it values the different stories that people have to tell.

I can't wait to see what they do with the stage production. I just hope they can fit a giant elephant onto the stage.