11 Tips To Start Spring Cleaning For Your Mental, Emotional, And Physical Health

Let's work on us this Spring!

104
Emmy Rinehart

Tis the season for Spring Cleaning! While Spring Cleaning is usually associated with items, I encourage you to evaluate all areas of your life this year: mental, emotional, and physical. Here are some areas to get you started, as well as some awesome resources to help you out! (Because we all know a lot of these things are easier said than done.)

1. Get rid of negative thoughts.

This is much easier said than done, but even just starting your day with a positive affirmation on something you're insecure about will go a long way. Be kind to yourself first so that you can have the energy to be kind to others.

2. Get that 8 hours every night.

No more sleepless nights. Sleep allows your brain to repair itself from the wear and tear of the day. It is also the best way to cope with stress, solve problems, and get better when we're sick! 8 hours of sleep is a must, so get rid of all your distractions and give yourself time to wind down each night so that you get better rest.

3. Start a weekly exercise routine.

Exercise is healthy for your brain and body, and there's no better time to start than now while you have access to all the free classes at the Student Rec Center! If you aren't a student and don't want to buy a gym membership, download a good exercise app or search through YouTube for a variety of fun programs you can use to get fit!

4. Give your body the fuel it needs.

With so many fast food options, it can be really difficult to eat the way we should. Sheet pan meals are a great way to get started on your healthy eating journey! They take minimal prep and time, and they can be super versatile, too. Investing in some good quality tupperware is key to packing healthy lunches as well, and don't forget a nice water bottle!

5. Make time everyday to do something you enjoy.

Sure, it would be nice to have that project done, but if you have other times to work on it in small sections instead of pumping it all out at once, definitely do it. Use the spare time you have to do something you enjoy like reading, drawing, listening to music, spending time with friends or loved ones, or watching Netflix to avoid burnout.

6. No more procrastinating.

On the flip-side, don't wait until the last minute to work on a project, assignment, or to study for a test. These are all sources of avoidable stress that can really take a toll on your well-being (and your GPA). Some ways to avoid procrastination are by making planned rewards to for completing parts of a task, eliminating distractions, among others.

7. Nix Toxic Relationships.

Relationships are a two-way street. If you're giving your all to your friends, family, and love interests and aren't getting anything back in return, it's time to go.

8. Books you'll never read again.

Now onto some of the easier stuff. Studies show getting grid of clutter of all kinds can help us have a more calm and organized mind. Why not start with old books and magazines you have laying around? Better yet, donate them to a local women's shelter and give someone else the chance to learn the lessons they each have to teach!

9. Donate/sell old clothes.

It can be hard to let go of the past, but you aren't who you were yesterday, let alone who you were five years ago when you wore that purple jumpsuit. Get rid of things that do't serve your current style. This will make picking out outfits much easier and streamline your morning routine, as well as benefit you in many other surprising ways.

10. Release the possessions that don't serve you.

We all know how hard it can be to get rid of something that came from a loved one, whether we like the object or not, but it's important to start letting that guilt go so that we can use our energy and space for things that serve us right now. Keep what makes you happiest, and let go of the rest because the person that gave it to you is more than that object. They're all the memories you have of them and with them, and getting rid of this physical thing will never take the things that really matter away.

11. Lose the multiples

Do you really need four can openers and three blenders? Regift or sell the things in your living spaces that you have more than one of! It will make things easier to find when you need them, and give you a lot more space for things that you do use.

With a new sense of purpose to get your life together, let the start of Spring be the moment you re-devote yourself to YOU. When you put yourself and your own well-being first, you'll be amazed by the amount of positive energy that will trickle down to your relationships, thus making all areas of your life exponentially better. Happy Spring Cleaning!