I Am Spiritual, Not Religious

I Am Spiritual, Not Religious

Whether you are religious, spiritual, neither, or both, there are endless opportunities to give and to love

40
I Am Spiritual, Not Religious
wlinfo.com

I have no fixed beliefs on what happens after physical death. I grew up choosing to attend church, clinging to my faith, and being certain that heaven would be my eternal home.

The past three years have been filled with inexplicably good and bad events. I found myself in very dark places at times. People speak of being able to pray to a God in their darkest hours, but when I was barely living through them, I felt that I had only myself. No one was going to save me. I had to save me.

I'm not religious, but I respect religion and have a rather good understanding of it. Spirituality, is a divine concept to me. Spirituality to me means having a belief that we are small individuals who can make large steps towards serving something larger than ourselves.

One can indeed be religious and spiritual. The major difference between the two is that religion focuses on a specific belief system, while spirituality sets aside how others say to go about finding divine meaning and service in life, and find themselves and opportunities to serve as time goes along.

Why, especially as a young person with much life yet to live and no obligations to dedicate myself to specifically one religion, I define myself as spiritual as this:

Where is God? Where are the angels? Where do our souls go when we physically pass? In religion, God and the angels reside in the heavens- leaving us with a sense of being out-of-reach. Spirituality claims that we are free to believe what happens after death. Also, that those we love who die, will remain souls within us. Their souls will live on through us, and it is our ability to carry on their legacies through our words, actions, and devotion.

In religion, there are sins and punishments. In spirituality, there are no set rules or commandments, you do what you feel is "right". Either way, mistakes are to be made, but punishment differs from deliverance.

Religion tells you what the truth is. Spirituality permits you to find your own truths of life.

Supporting that one can be both religious and spiritual- religion alone divides one religion from another. Whereas spirituality ignites those among all walks of life, sets aside all differences, and views others blind of stigmas.

Spirituality doesn't have to be proven by attending services or committing to take leaps of faith that one may be obligated to when following religion. Spirituality is carried within, and shines through actions and words. One can go to a church service, yet never carry the love of the church outside the front doors.

I believe that I carry on the souls of those that I have loved and lost. I am unsure of where we "go" after physical death, if anywhere at all. I believe that there are many extremes that are both sins and morally wrong, but in difference to some religions, I find beauty in love and equality for ALL. I believe that, similar to parents and mentors, there are suggested paths to life; however, is this not our own life to live? Choose a path and allow yourself to fail and succeed. Love deeply, take risks, expand your comfort zone, learn, grow... All of these things are much harder to do under restrictions or the pressures of what one is "ought to do". I believe that if there is a one divine religion, that all existing religions are just different interpretations, and that the duty of those of that divine religion would be prompted to love all and experience life as it goes on. I believe that as someone who is religious and/or spiritual, your beliefs should be shown through your actions and (within the lines of decency and respect) words too. What you believe should be known by how you carry yourself, love, listen, act, and much more. Following patterns of others, blending in, putting on a facade are all common when we get lost in the big picture. We are very very small in this big world. There are causes far greater than our minds can wrap around. There is dire need in all parts of the world. Whether you are religious, spiritual, neither, or both, there are endless opportunities to give and to love. May all your deeds be out of the genuine desire to make a difference.