Spike Lee's 'She's Gotta Have It' Is The Show Every New Yorker Should Watch

For the natives and the newcomers, this one is for you.
1174

Choosing a show on Netflix can be pretty tricky. You want something that's going to keep your attention and leave you craving more when you've finished binge-watching for hours straight and Netflix has already asked you four times if you're still watching. It's no secret that Netflix has some good hidden shows that are really, really, good. If you're getting tired of the always reliable "Orange is the New Black" or "Black Mirror," I strongly suggest trying out "She's Gotta Have It" and attempting to understand all the feels this show made me feel.

If the name rings a bell, it's because Brooklyn's own Spike Lee released "She's Gotta Have It" originally as a film back in 1986. Revamped in a more modern scene over in Fort Greene, Brooklyn, the show tackles problems that almost all millennials deal with seemingly on a daily basis. Many of those problems include dating, finding a job, dealing with children, and my personal favorite, gentrification. Not only does Spike Lee know how to relate everyone to his Brooklyn roots, but the scenery in this show is absolutely amazing.

From the opening sequence that appears every episode, I knew already that I found a show I would like. Spike Lee's ability to direct is amazing; that combined with his love and desire to show off the Fort Greene, Brooklyn area, is amazing. As a Brooklyn native born and raised, I have nothing but appreciation for what Spike does in this series for the community and the message we send out. The most important message in my opinion? That of gentrification.

As it's a whole different topic in and of itself, I'll only dabble on it a bit. Gentrification can be defined as "the process of renewal and rebuilding accompanying the influx of middle-class or affluent people into deteriorating areas that often displaces poorer residents." In Brooklyn, we are way too familiar with this act. If you would like to get a clue of what my neighborhood seems like, or what Brooklyn REALLY is, I suggest watching this show. Spike Lee captures the neighborhood that raised me in all of its beauty. From Brownstones to projects, fancy restaurants to the always reliable bodega, and everything in between.

"She's Gotta Have It" instills a new sense of pride in those looking to add another thing to their long list of why Brooklyn is so memorable. For all the natives who are looking to be acknowledged, this one is for you. For all the newcomers looking to learn about the borough you've come to, this one is especially for you.