'Spider-Man: Far From Home' Is All About Growing Up And I'm Not Crying, You Are

With great power comes great responsibility. And the Peter-Tingle.

43
Tom Holland as Peter Parker looking defeated past the camera.
Sony Pictures Entertainment on YouTube.com

WARNING! This post contains spoilers for the MCU's "Avengers: Endgame" and "Spider-Man: Far From Home." Read at your own discretion.

Peter-Tingle won't save you from any spoilers and if you haven't seen it yet, what are you doing with your life anyway? Get it together.

giphy.com

Let's be honest, the greatest thing that this earth has given us is the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Yeah, it's cool to read comics and go to conventions, but seeing your favorite heroes and/or villains completely kicking ass and telling their story on the big screen, something inside of you just hits different. Maybe it's the nerd or the fan-girl inside of me talking, but I just can't get enough of anything to do with the MCU franchise. Especially Captain America and Spider-Man.

Spider-Man had always been one of my favorites since the 2002 movie starring Tobey Maguire as the titular character. The MCU character is portrayed by Tom Holland which a majority of fans deem as closest to the comic books of Earth-616. I knew that Peter wasn't going to die in "Infinity War" or "Endgame" because Holland was signed on for "Far From Home." Where the Marvel Cinematic Universe go after the end of an era? Onto Europe, of course, with our very own friendly neighborhood Spider-Man in 2019.

The opening sequence of the film already had me in tears. A crappy video tribute to Natasha Romanoff, Steve Rogers, and Tony Stark who died saving the world from Thanos after the event we come to know as the Blip. As if losing them wasn't already enough. Peter now had to live in a world without the man that believed in him the most. He came back into this world five years later, fought the fight of his life again almost immediately after, and then had to go back to school where there children that he once knew as teenagers. Can you imagine any normal person going through that? Well, he is a superhero.

Then a Big Bad comes into the picture. Don't they always? Nick Fury recruits Spider-Man as he the only Avenger that is not deceased and available. He tries to list off others because he doesn't want the task, but they all out of world and unavailable, i.e. Thor and Captain Marvel. Peter eventually accepts as he realizes that his friends are in danger and it was the right thing to do in the end. He did the hero thing. He doesn't have anyone to guide him through the motions but then Mysterio comes along and Peter believes that he could be the next Iron Man. We all know how that went down.

A huge theme of the movie is that everything is not what it seems with Mysterio's illusion technology, hoax personality, and identity. He portrays himself as a wise, powerful being whose family was killed by the Eternals in a different universe. He tricks Peter into giving him Tony's AI glasses, EDITH, that were left for Spider-Man and tries to kill him when the teenager realizes the scam.

Peter prefers that no one knew is real identity except for the people who matter, but his love interest MJ ends up solving the mystery of the mask even though she was only 67% sure. However, Beck manages to frame Spider-Man as the Big Bad, twisting his words around in a video and revealing his true identity as the Midtown high schooler. Things just got a whole lot harder. We better be getting a third Spider-Man movie soon.

So you come back five years later and everything is different, the weight of the world rests on your shoulder because no one else can help burden it, your love life isn't the greatest, you were fooled by some smart guy, the smart guy before who was like your cool uncle or even close to your dad is now dead, and everyone knows your secret identity. Pretty much, you're screwed. He doesn't have Iron Man to help in these situations, dire or personal. He might be a sixteen-year-old, but what sixteen-year-olds have to go through that?

The days of being the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man and regular Peter Parker are over. Peter is the next Iron Man, Peter is Earth's best defender now. Like father, like son. I'm not crying, you are.

Plus, there are references to Captain America when Happy picks up the shield and tries to throw it at a drone and also when Peter was holding a metal sign and a hammer-like weapon on the bridge, looking very similar to when Cap wielded Mjolnir in "Endgame." Ugh, perfect.

"I'm just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man."

"Bitch, please! You've been to space."

Tell 'em, Nick. Or Skrull Nick? Need an explanation for that one.