Spider-Man Far From Home Review And What It Means For Marvel

'Spider-Man: Far From Home' And The Future Of The MCU

WARNING: Major spoilers ahead!

42

I have been a fan of teenage web-slinger Peter Parker for as long as I can remember. He's been my favorite superhero ever since I was introduced to the concept of superheroes. I love him so much that I convinced my boyfriend to take me to the midnight showing of the latest movie on a weeknight. And while the movie met every expectation I had, it left some loose ends that could seemingly tie themselves to new developments within the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

As the warning says, this article includes spoilers for both "Avengers: Endgame" and "Far From Home," so if you haven't seen the films, stop now!

"Spider-Man: Far From Home" picks up directly after the events of "Endgame." The world is mourning the loss of heroes like Iron Man, Black Widow, and Captain America. Of course, Steve Rogers isn't dead, and the mantle has been passed onto Sam Wilson, but Rogers is old now so...not the Cap we're used to. Much like Endgame followed the Avengers trying to move forward from the Snap (which the public calls the Blip in "Far From Home"), so too is everyone trying to pick back up where they started with the return of half the world's population.

Just as "Spider-Man: Homecoming" dealt with balancing superhero life with teenage whims, "Far From Home" focuses on Peter's wish to spend time with MJ (played by Zendaya) during their school summer trip to Europe. Of course, Nick Fury steps in and demands Spider-Man help deal with the threat of the Elementals, powerful creatures that already destroyed one world and are working on the next. Peter then teams up with Jake Gyllenhaal's charming Mysterio to stop the supposed threat.

While the film itself was incredible, it's really the ending and the post-credit scenes that bring up the most interest. In the first credit scene, it's shown that Fury and Maria weren't Fury and Maria at all, but Talos and his wife (previously seen in "Captain Marvel"), and Fury was actually at a secret compound with all the other Kree. Questions are raised regarding Fury's possible involvement in another secret project and what that could mean for the rest of the movies.

And at the end of the film, the true villain is defeated, but not without consequences. The final post-credits scene reveals that before his death, Mysterio accused Spider-Man of attacking him and causing the illusions of the Elementals. And with a final blow, Mysterio reveals Spider-Man's identity. The scene ends with Peter mimicking Aunt May at the end of "Homecoming" by crying "What the f-!" So with the reveal of Spidey's secret identity, Fury's shapeshifting deception, and the complete absence of any other heroes in the film, it begs the question: What next?

With "Far From Home" marking the end of Phase Three of the Marvel movies, the stage is beginning to be set for Phase Four. Supposedly, Phase Four will begin in May of 2020 with the Black Widow movie, which at this point can be assumed to be an origin story. If so, the Marvel movies will be taking a different direction after the disbandment of the Avengers (Tony Stark was the glue, and you simply cannot change my mind.). The latest Spider-Man explained that many of the beloved heroes were unavailable—either off-world or otherwise—and thus could not help with the threat of the Elementals. It's a decent enough explanation as to why Fury thought to rely on 16-year-old Peter instead of any of the remaining Avengers, but the excuse is more likely a setup for the next Marvel movies.

While "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3" has already been discussed and will probably be released in 2022, there aren't many hero group movies in store for the next few years. The only other group film in the works is Eternals. And although loaded group movies are still a possibility, it's hard to think of the Marvel Cinematic Universe without the original Avengers. So does this mean that Phase Four will focus primarily on solo films? For me, this is an incredibly exciting idea because not only would fans get to see more of their favorites in sequels and origins, but it's the chance to be introduced to a new generation of heroes. Nothing has been confirmed, but fan favorite actors like Tom Holland and Robert Downey Jr. have expressed interest in having teen genius Ironheart join the cinematic universe. New heroes like Ironheart or Ms. Marvel (Marvel's first Muslim superhero) would not only increase some much-needed diversity within the films, but they'd open up whole new paths for Marvel to take.

As seen in "Spider-Man: Far From Home," the existence of a multiverse was teased by Mysterio. Ultimately, Mysterio's reputation as a trickster was upheld with the reveal that Quentin Beck was not of a different Earth, but the multiverse is still entirely possible. Beck's false explanation was that the Snap tore holes within reality, allowing Beck to travel between Earths. Marvel could potentially use this to support the actual existence of a multiverse within the movies, as alternate timelines do exist in the Marvel comics.

So is Marvel's Phase Four devoted to solos and sequels? Will they decide to create the multiverse within the cinematic universe to introduce new heroes? And of course, the question on every fan's mind: Will these new heroes be able to compare to the success and adoration associated with the original Avengers? A lot is riding on Marvel's next phase, and only time will tell how it'll all end up.