Spending Too Much Money In College?

Spending Too Much Money In College?

"It's not your salary that makes you rich, it's your spending habits." - Charles A. Jaffe

334
Spending Too Much Money In College?

If you're anything like me, you have absolutely no idea how to save money. It seems every time you get even a little bit of cash, it's gone before you can even blink an eye. You know it's wrong. You try to hold on as long as you can, but somehow it slips between your fingers.

Between a light-up selfie phone case that costs $80 to an unnecessarily humongous mug you just HAVE to have, the internet has everything. HOW CAN YOU NOT BUY THIS STUFF? Well, for me, it's gotten to the point where I need help. Serious help.

Here are a few things that may help you keep your money where it belongs: in your savings.

1. Don't even own a credit card

Ok, I get it. Owning a credit card can be an important thing. HOWEVER, if you're my age you don't need one. Why spend money you don't have? Use a debit card. All it's gonna do is screw yourself over once you graduate college when you're knee deep in debt. The only person you'll have to blame is yourself.

2. Withdraw your weekly set amount in cash

If you don't have the ability to do this, put only that amount in your spending. For me, having it in cash reminds me that I ONLY HAVE THIS MUCH. I can't spend more than what I have in my hands.

3. Don't spend too much on food

My mom is probably reading this thinking, "I tell you this daily," but she's right. You don't need a $10 margarita twice a week. You don't need a $15 cheeseburger. Use your head. What would you rather have your money for? A fun vacation or a couple of expensive junk foods?

4. Use your meal plan

Alright, we can all say sometimes the food isn't the best. You've had a long day and all you want is a warm, yummy meal to fill you up. UGH. MYSTERY MEATLOAF? So high school... But sometimes you just gotta be creative and make the best out of a nasty situation. Save yourself money (maybe lose some weight)!

5. Make your own coffee

If you have a Keurig or your dorm/house has it's own coffee machine, USE IT! Google how to make "Starbucks-worthy" coffee on your own. That's saving yourself $5 everyday.

I'm not kidding, just following these five things you'll save yourself quite a lot of money. Finally, you'll be able to afford a Spring Break trip!!