Why Speaking Words of Encouragement is essential

Our Heavenly Father tells us to speak life into this world - so we should

527

One of my favorite songs is "Speak Life" by Toby Mac. I think the song's opening statement is awesome because it's true. He sings that "Some days life feels perfect, other days, it just ain't working." It can get a little chaotic on earth, whether it is looking for a job or be searching for a way to comfort a crying friend.

It's not easy to be encouraging when life gets difficult and when nightmares are more common than dreams. But the right words, especially words guided by the Holy Spirit, can speak life into any situation.

Are we encouraging ourselves through the dark days? Are we encouraging others through their dark days?

I've seen the right words spark the light of hope inside depressed eyes. On multiple occasions, the right words during a sorority sleepover have calmed me into a peaceful sleep during a restless week. Every time this happens, I thank God. Our Father is so good to send His peace to us through others' words.

The Bible talks about the power of speech all the time. Proverbs is full of information about it, and so are many other books.

Below are some Bible verses that talk about the power of the tongue:

A good person out of the store of goodness in his heart produces good, but an evil person out of a store of evil produces evil; for from the fullness of the heart the mouth speaks. (Luke 6:45)

From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. This need not be so, my brothers. (James 3:10)

Death and life are in the power of the tongue; those who choose one shall it eats fruit. (Proverbs 18:21)

No foul language should come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for needed edification, that it may impart grace to those who hear. (Ephesians 4:29)

A soothing tongue is a tree of life, but a perverse one breaks the spirit. (Proverbs 15:4)

Know this, my dear brothers: everyone should be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath, for the wrath of a man does not accomplish the righteousness of God. (James 1:19)

One who slanders reveals secrets, but a trustworthy person keeps a confidence. (Proverbs 11:13)

Anxiety weighs down the heart, but a kind word cheers it up. (Proverbs 12:25)

Sometimes, we do not speak up (when we know we should) because we worry our words will not be enough. Sometimes we worry that we won't be understood.

We must not be afraid. A responsibility of being a Christian is to assist others. If we see someone is struggling, or in need of a simple pep talk, we should act accordingly.

It is an act of love to speak the truth. It is an act of love to speak into a frustrated, mad, or anxious heart and remind them that Christ has not let them suffer in their pain alone. Christ is right there and trying to help in the best ways he can… and one of those ways is by encouraging you to speak to that person. The Holy Spirit will assist you in this noble act - so if you're not sure what to say, just ask the Holy Spirit for help and you'll get what you need.

Everyone needs a little hope now and then, and it is vital to the church that we provide hopeful reminders to each other. That's why we aren't meant to be alone. We are called to live in a community to love each other for so many reasons, and encouraging each other on the hard days is one of them.

Illuminate the darkness of the world with the light of Christ. Speak about Jesus Christ and hope will reign instead of hopelessness. Speak life into this world, whether it's to a stranger, friend, or family member. It can be as simple as a super sweet hello, or a sincere "Thank you" to the sad barista at the coffee shop. You can do this.