South Florida's DJ Scene in the Mix

South Florida's DJ Scene in the Mix

A One on One Interview with Up and Coming DJ Rob Flex

8
South Florida's DJ Scene in the Mix

I don't know much about the music industry but I do know there has been a lot of changes since I first sat down and listened to my first song on a boom box way back in the late 80's. My school was having having a talent contest and the music teacher played a cassette tape (most of you probably don't know what that is lol) on a boom box outside on the basketball court. Each group danced but one song stuck in my head and my heart--Jon Bon Jovi's Living On A Prayer. I LOVED that song and could stop my head from banging. Oh my god why would a black girl like a rock song? I embraced all genres of music from back then until now and so has a new South Florida DJ.

So I decided to get the low down on what goes on in the mind of this up and coming DJ with an old soul and the absolute passion of eating and sleeping nothing but music--it's history, culture and innovativeness. DJ Robert Felix, aka DJ Rob Flex first started DJing in 1997 right around the time when hip-hop and R&B artists were slowly evolving into legendary music icons. He bought LP's (records) first and bought his first set of turn tables. (Now that's old school). Let's hear more about the life and times of this lyrical legend.

When did you want to start DJ'ing full time and what inspired you?

"I first met my mentor DJ Dan in 1996 and the following year I became a roadie (assistant) to him then in 2002 I went out on my own".

What artists inspire you and why?

His eyes light up and he exclaims "Busta Rhymes and Redman". "Redman is my favorite though because he is dynamic, energetic and doesn't care about beefs. My favorite album of his is Muddy Waters, his break through album." I also like Busta Rhymes for the same reason, he's animated and authentic. Extinction Level Event is my favorite album of his because of its uniqueness and lyrical excellence and apocalyptic theme."

How would you compare today's music from the past?

"There was a lot more originality from artists in the past than from artists today. Today's music is watered down and unoriginal in my opinion." He also mentioned FunkMaster Flex and Kid Capri inspire him. "I love FunkMaster Flex's passion for DJ'ing and his mixtapes. Kid Capri is always on the club scene and stands out with his mixtapes." Based on all this I think you can guess that his favorite genre of music is hip-hop hands down. "It's influential, groundbreaking and trendsetting."

Of course there is a dark side to DJ'ing as well and DJ Flex gave me the lowdown. I asked him what he liked most about DJ'ing and he loves "entertaining and the free food" lol. "However I hate DJ's that are too competitive or think they are better than others by having the best equipment or the best mixes. It shouldn't be about envy, its about having fun."

Another dark side of DJ'ing is getting hired by less than tasteful clients. He mentioned that the worst event he ever DJ'd was a community event that occurred in 2015. This event was surprisingly hosted by a non-profit organization. He was put in an unfair situation by a sound engineer that quit at the last minute. Unfortunately he was not equipped to handle this workload and expressed his displeasure to the host and that's when things got ugly. He has since put it behind him but that's how it is in this business.

Even though this business can be rough at times he said he would not trade it for anything else. In fact he has some advice for more up and coming DJ's. "Have fun be yourself and be original. Stay true to the culture and study how to mix and scratch and do beat matching. Don't do it for the money. Know the culture, do the history, be grateful, be humble and be appreciative of the culture." "Don't take it for granted."

Well said and well played Mr. Flex.