9 Songs To Listen To When In A New Relationship

Soundtrack of firsts

27269
Wikimedia

Let’s face it, we’ve all created a playlist for someone. Right at the beginning of a (dare I say) relationship, we get these bubbles in our stomachs and want to listen to some kick-ass music. It feels like we are in a movie. We make those playlists after it all happens, when we get home from the first date. Maybe after the first *cough cough* night together. But what I’ve always wanted was a playlist that came on while the first date or night was happening. Well, to be honest I just want that happening constantly. A soundtrack to my life would be great. So here is the playlist I would want to be playing in the movie version of my life. Feel free to judge.

First sight-I’ve Just Seen A Face

Besides the fact that in this scenario I would like Jim Sturgess to be the guy I’m meeting, his rendition of “I’ve Just Seen a Face” from Across the Universe is by far one of my favorite songs recorded. For all of you diehard Beatles fans out there don’t fret, your time is coming. This is where Jim and I will lock eyes on the street one day, but we are with our friends and can't actually meet. We both walk along with our friends not listening to what they are saying as this song plays in the background.

First flirtation-You Sexy Thing

This is the part in the chick flick where Jim and I bump into each other at a party. After ten seconds of conversation, he whisks me on the dance floor and we are suddenly the two most coordinated people of all time. This song is playing as we dance some relatively modern choreographed routine ending (of course) in a kiss.

First date-Got To Get You Into My Life

Ok Beatles fans, here it is. Think City of Stars or The Notebook: We are walking and laughing holding hands, I am in a yellow sundress. Jim buys me ice cream, I get some on his nose, we run around a small town chasing each other. All the while this song is playing overtop.

First date (cont’d)-What I Like About You

Let’s face it, if I am on a date with Jim Sturgess, there it’s going to last longer than two minutes and twenty-nine seconds. Feel free to fill the song with whatever your heart desires. I’m thinking county fair…

First night-Ooh La La

All movies have the scene right before the door closes to the bedroom and the director yells “CUT.” The kisses are passionate, the lighting intense. The actors of course don’t have any mishaps, the wine doesn’t get knocked over, no one snorts while they laugh. This song starts off softly in the background, crescendos as the doors open, and fades out mid song as the doors close.

First morning-Stay in Bed

Chances are if you aren’t from Vermont, you haven’t heard this song or of this band. The Grift is a local band who I grew up listening to and happen to have a song perfect for this occasion. Thanks guys! Think Jack Johnson's "Banana Pancakes" if he had ever made a music video for it. Over exposed film, artsy breakfast in bed, big white comforter, etc.

Drive home-Feeling Good

In Boston or other cities where cars aren’t used by us youngsters, this may not be applicable. Feel free to substitute the drive for a walk or train ride. Picture this, it’s summer, the windows are down, sun is shining, hair is flowing, you’re thinking back to last night, and Nina Simone echoes your every thought.

Relationship Montage-1234

Another scene right out of any rom-com: A montage of me in Jim’s oversized t-shirts making breakfast, us walking down by a beach, dancing at parties, drinking wine at a restaurant. Oh, the high life.

Credits-Say It, Just Say It

Bloopers of ice cream going in his nose, dance moves gone wrong, food being spilt on clothes, messing up lines, etc.

Well folks, that concludes our first date. These feel good songs are bound to set the right mood for any first, whatever it may be. Hey, one day it might be with our dearest Jim.