12 Fall Out Boy Songs To Get You Through A Breakup

Whether you miss your ex, or want to key their car.

5975
Tumblr

Fall Out Boy has had a long and sucessful career, with many brilliant songs. I listen to FOB on a daily basis and some of my favorite songs of theirs to scream in my car, are the breakup songs. The band has some great breakup themed tracks; from vengeful to nostalgic, there are lyrics that really hit home for anyone who's been burned by a former flame.

I've compiled a list of the wonderful breakup songs that appear on FOB's various albums, excluding Fall Out Boy's "Evening Out With Your Girlfriend," their EPs, and "Folie a Deux" because there weren't really any songs with strong breakup themes on that one. The songs are listed according to when the albums were released and the order in which they appear on each album. Let's Begin!

1. Tell That Mick He Just Made My List Of Things to Do Today - Take This To Your Grave.

So I mentioned the whole vengeful, scorned lover thing and this song is full of those vibes. To be honest, I never really paid attention to this song until recently, which was a huge mistake on my part because it's my life's anthem. The title alone is passive aggressive, and the lyrics are the words you want to scream at your ex, but might not have the guts or the amount of crazy to actually say.

Favorite Line: "Stop burning bridges and drive off of them so I can forget about you."

2. Sending Postcards From A Plane Crash (Wish You Were Here) - Take This To Your Grave.

Once again, great title. This song is actually how I feel about my exes 99.9 percent of the time. It talks about how you want to get rid of everything that reminds you of someone and sever all ties with them, which is especially true after a bad breakup.

Favorite Line: "When you go I will forget everything about you."

3. Chicago Is So Two Years Ago - Take This To Your Grave.

This is my favorite FOB breakup song. I love singing along to this no matter where I am. Last month, I was feeling bummed about a recent breakup but this song came on shuffle in the car and I jammed and it reminded me that I don't need him or anyone else to feel good about myself. It's actually a pretty empowering song in my opinion.

Favorite Line: "You want apologies, girl you might hold your breath until your breathing stops forever/ The only thing you'll get is this curse on your lips, I hope they taste of me forever."

4. I Slept With Someone From Fall Out Boy And All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me - From Under The Cork Tree.

This title is pretty great and the song is more subtle than the rest of the ones on the list. The reason I love this song isn't necessarily for its breakup themes but it still has a pretty real line that's super relatable. Also, Pete screams in this one, something I, for one, definitely miss on their newer songs.

Favorite Line: "So progress report: I am missing you to death."

5. Hum Hallelujah - Infinity On High.

If you have a fear of commitment, then this song is a pretty good one for you to listen to. It talks about being half in and half out of a relationship, but also not being sure about life in general, which I think is pretty spot on.

Favorite Line: "I love you in the same way there's a chapel in the hospital: one foot in your bedroom and one foot out the door."

6. Thnks Fr Th Mmrs - Infinity On High.

Remember the video with the chimps and pre-Kanye Kim K? It was fun to watch but the lyrics were even more fun to shout at those middle school dances. This is the great "F*ck you" breakup song that will never get old.

Favorite Line: "Thanks for the memories, even thought they weren't so great. He tastes like you only sweeter."

7. Bang The Doldrums - Infinity On High.

Here's another one for all you commitment-phobes. In the very first verse, Patrick sings about writing a goodbye note on some poor girl's arm while she's passed out because he didn't want to tell her straight up. It's a pretty catchy song and I'm sure we've all been there at least once. Sometimes it's just easier to sneak away before things get too heavy or have a chance to go wrong.

Favorite Line: "I can't commit to a thing, be it heart or hospital."

8. The Mighty Fall - Save Rock And Roll.

So I like this song a lot and I actually think it's really profound...minus Big Sean's little part. Also, if you watched "The Young Blood Chronicals" like I did (48 times...) then you know how cool the video is. The whole song is like the bitter angry rant that I never got to scream at my ex, which is probably why I like it so much.

Favorite Line: "Baby, we should've left our love in the gutter where we found it."

9. Miss Missing You - Save Rock And Roll.

This song is about that nostalgic feeling you get when you miss an old flame, and it's so damn accurate. You get to a point in your life, post breakup, where you don't necessarily miss the person, but you miss the feeling they gave you; you miss missing them. It's kind of a dull ache for a past that you can't/don't want to go back to.

Favorite Line: "Baby, you were my picket fence. I miss missing you now and then."

10. Jet Pack Blues - American Beauty/American Psycho.

For me, Jet Pack Blues is the song on their most recent album that really spoke to me. I loved all of them but this one actually made me cry the first time I listened to it. It's even been my ringtone for the last seven months.

Favorite Line: "Did you ever love her, do you know? Or did you never want to be alone?"

11. Fourth Of July - American Beauty/American Psycho.

To me this song represents the feeling after you've come to accept the changes as they are and you can look back on it and appreciate what it was and still move on. I love how the song starts off fast and loud. It's perfect for screaming in the car with the windows down.

Favorite Line: "You are my favorite 'what if', you are my best 'I'll never know'."

12. Favorite Record - American Beauty/American Psycho.

This is the song you listen to after a breakup when you're feeling nostalgic or are wondering what went wrong. It's a really sweet song and super catchy.

Favorite Line: "You were the song stuck in my head, every song that I've ever loved, played again and again and again."

And there you have it! I personally enjoy their breakup songs the most because I'm just a bitter person and they make me feel validated in my bitterness, but I highly recommend listening to these songs whether you're going through a breakup or not, because they're super relatable and so, so good.

Happy listening!

From Your Site Articles