How To Survive Sorority Recruitment At The University Of Alabama

What all freshman girls should know when rushing the best greek life school in the country.

196

Girls all across the country are currently studying for high school exams. If I'm going to be honest, I had a case of senioritis the second week of senior year. I spent most of my time planning out my dorm room, what I would wear to game day, but summer recruitment was not something I initially thought I was going to take part in.

Although I did know someone in Greek life at Alabama, here are some of the things I wish I knew while going through recruitment.

1. Bring comfortable shoes

Now I can't tell you everything that happens behind the gates of sorority land, but I can tell you this... we don't see you outside of our house. whatever you choose to wear, carry or eat outside of our house, we cannot see. We know it is survival of the fittest during recruitment so whatever you need to do to get through this week, please prepare for. Let me paint you a scenario...

It is the middle of recruitment and you have back to back parties, but your cute heels hurt too much to book it from house to house. You are in pain, sweating like crazy and you are not showing your best self because your feet are bleeding and you are miserable...

DONT LET THIS BE YOU! Pack a good pair of tennis shoes or slip ons. whatever you are more comfortable in bring. In this case, you will have more time to get to your next house because I don't know about you, but turtles pass me when I walk in heels. You can always change into heels right before your next party and you will be ready to walk into any house as if it was the Victoria Secret runway.

2. Prepare for a hurricane 

Put it this way... If sorority houses have to practice an alternative party plan because of a tornado or rain delay... YOU SHOULD PACK A UMBRELLA!

Story Time: When I rushed, I checked the weather app more than I checked Instagram. Although SIRI said there was no cloud in sight I still packed a rain jacket and umbrella. other than packing these survival tools, I did my hair accordingly. Between the heat and the humidity, expect your curls to fall. There is nothing wrong with wearing your hair straight or in a cute ponytail.

3. Pack logically 

Without a doubt, these are the things I either couldn't live without or wish I packed during recruitment. Some may be completely random, but you will thank me later.

A portable fan: YOU WILL SWEAT! in this case, you can stay cool, prevent your makeup from melting, and just prevent any aggravating discomfort that Alabama weather bestowed during the middle of the summer. I would look into Amazon to see what fans they have to offer because I cannot guarantee there will be any left in Tuscaloosa, for every sorority girl will have their hands on them.

Extra makeup/oil wipes: I wouldn't pack every single brush I own and my whole contour kit, but maybe consider packing some counselor or lip gloss to finish your look. If you plan on wearing fake eyelashes, pack glue because they will fall off. Oil wipes are always good to keep your face looking fresh and not to mention it is very uncomfortable when you feel like your foundation is melting.

Towel: You're not going swimming, but there will be times where you are waiting for hours to go into your next party. instead of standing you may want to take a seat on the nice clean pavement. Use a towel to not only prevent your nice dress from getting dirty, but asphalt gets very hot in the sun.

Spray Deodorant: I like this because it kept me smelling fresh and didn't stain on my clothes and It was a quick adjustment

Dry Shampoo: Fun tip. if your hair is starting to fall or the texture is getting a little oily, spray some dry shampoo to only lift your hair, but make you look like you just stepped out of the salon.

Snacks: In between breaks, sometimes you are not allowed to leave your group or lunch won't be in another couple of hours. Always have a granola bar or some candy to keep your sugar up.

Most importantly DRINK LOTS OF WATER! Best of luck during recruitment!