Be Yourself During Sorority Recruitment

For The Girls Going Through Sorority Recruitment This Fall, Be Yourself

Sorority members want to get to know the real you, and with that being said, be your authentic self.

503
Shelby Arnett

Your freshman year of college can be scary. On top of that, going through sorority recruitment as a college freshman can be even scarier. Signing up for registration and searching for the perfect outfit when going through the process may seem daunting at first. However, as I reflect back on my recruitment experience almost a year ago, I've come to a great realization: I, among all of the other women going through sorority recruitment, had the utmost support from current sorority members and one another.

Before recruitment began, I was so worried about how I was supposed to act once I stepped foot into the first sorority house. Big smile? Check. Positive attitude? Check. School spirit? Check. I had marked all the boxes, so I was going to be fine, right?

What I soon found out was that there were no "boxes" I had to check. I just needed to be myself.

That was what all of the sororities were looking for. They want you to embrace yourself, your genuine qualities, and show them the unique parts of you; what sets you apart from others. They want to find out what makes you who you are, not what you think you should be. When going through recruitment last year, a common theme that came up was authenticity. We were encouraged to be our most authentic selves when talking with current sorority members. This idea developed as a worry for some of the women because they worried about whether or not sorority members would like their true personalities. However, we were reminded that every person and every chapter was different. We were going to find our place in the end, so it was important to remain open-minded throughout the process.

One question I distinctly remember being asked was the following: "Tell me something you haven't told anyone throughout this recruitment process. What do you like the most about yourself?"

This question hit me hard.

As women, we oftentimes focus on the negative aspects of ourselves instead of the positive. We tend to bash ourselves for all of the things that we find "wrong" instead of complimenting ourselves for what's right: your sense of humor, your kindness, your love for volunteering. Those are the things you deserve to brag about.This specific question set me back because it allowed me to open up about the things that define my sense of self. When I told the sorority member about my passion for involvement and my successes of high school, we got to talking about similarities we shared -- Student Council, spirit club, athletics -- and we found common ground. The conversation flowed easily and there was no pressure to try to be this "perfect" girl going through sorority recruitment. The perfect girl doesn't exist.

It warmed my heart to know that these women I aspired to become were really just like me.

After being asked that question, I let my guard down. I was unapologetically real with the girls I talked to each day, and I felt so much better knowing that I could be relaxed around them because they wanted me to feel that way. And for the ladies preparing for recruitment this fall, I encourage you to be real as well. It will take you so much farther than attempting to be someone you're not. The authenticity is most appreciated, and you will be nothing but successful by embracing yourself and your amazing attributes. There is nothing to worry about!

Once recruitment had finished, I ended up exactly where I needed to be. Alpha Delta Pi has provided me with amazing friends, endless opportunities, and memories that will last me my whole life. I found my place, and you will find your place, too.