Sororities Aren't For Everyone

Sororities Aren't For Everyone

Don't take it personally.

87
Sororities Aren't For Everyone
Instagram

If there is one thing I’ve learned since I joined a sorority, it's that Greek life definitely isn't for everyone. Sororities test your limits. They push you, shape you, and create you into someone entirely different than you were before you joined. At times, you might question why you are still there, only to be abundantly reminded by your sisters the next day.

Sororities aren’t for girls who don’t have a philanthropic heart. We spend endless hours every semester giving back to the community and our philanthropies. We take pride in being apart of something so much bigger than ourselves. So If you don’t like to give, sororities most definitely aren’t for you.

Sororities aren’t for girls who can’t time-manage. Between sisterhood events, service opportunities, chapter meetings, dances, mixers, Panhellenic meetings and sisterhood retreats, you have to balance school and (most of the time) a job. That’s not including the extra requirements for those of us who hold an officer position in the chapter. Most sorority women also participate in other organizations around campus, and many are in business or service fraternities as well. So, if you can’t handle a heavy work load, sororities most definitely aren’t for you.

Sororities aren’t for girls who don’t adapt well to change. Like I said earlier; they make you into someone entirely different than you were before you joined. The quote “You are only as good as the people you surround yourself with” couldn’t be more accurate. My sisters constantly push me to be the absolute best I can be by showing me an endless amount of love and support. They make hard times easier and they are the absolute best role models I could ask for. You will learn so much about yourself by watching and listening to your sisters. They only want the best for you, so if you aren't willing to listen and let them help you grow, sororities definitely aren’t for you.

Sororities aren’t for girls who only put forth the minimum effort. Although life can get extremely overwhelming, you can’t slack off. You will only ever get out of this experience what you put into it. This will mean staying up until 4am to help a sister finish editing a paper. It means crafting all summer for your future littles. It means working harder than you’ve ever worked in your life in order to pay your monthly dues; and somehow still manage to have a pretty incredible social life. It means taking a sister for a late night ice-cream run after a bad day. It means laying on the floor of a study room at 5 a.m. on finals week with a group of your sisters, crying and praying for exams to be over. So if you aren’t willing to give it everything you’ve got, sororities definitely aren’t for you.

Sororities are for the girls who love giving back to the community with no expectations of getting anything in return. They are for girls who love advancing themselves and everyone around them. They are for those of us who are ready for change, and take it willingly. They are for the most selfless of women, the ones who would give absolutely anything for everyone else, regardless of how tough it might get sometimes. Sororities definitely aren’t for everyone, but if you are one of the lucky few who can handle all that comes with being apart of this amazing experience, it’s one you will never regret.