Sophomore Year Vs Freshman Year As Told By 'Friends'

They'll be there for you...during those necessary Netflix binges.

205
YouTube

Freshman year is full of new experiences for better or for worse. Sometimes it sucks, but its a right of passage. Everyone has to do it. Sophomore year is like freshman year on repeat, except nothing is new. I just began my sophomore year at Furman and it was so weird to come here and not be the new kid. Somehow, this year is thousands of times busier than last year and if your school is anything like Furman, you'll know I'm doing my fair share of homework and it is kicking my a** (in a fun way). Here are a few things I notice differing from my first year of college.

1. Seeing freshman is so cute and nostalgic.

Watching the newbies figure out their lives is so much fun. The other day one of them asked me if Furman was hard. I tried to let them down gently.

2. School gets HARDER.

Last year was all intro classes and first year seminars. This year its like they expect me to know things.

3. You aren't a freshman so your school isn't really worried about you.

Last year all the events were centered around you, so you met people and didn't get lonely or whatever. This year they're not super concerned, they kinda just leave you alone.

4. You meet people in your year that you've somehow never seen before.

Especially at a small school, you see people you think are freshman, but it turns out you've actually been together this whole time in the same class.

5. Your parents are used to you being gone by now (hopefully).

Last year they were sending packages and phone calls every week and thinking about you all the time, wondering what you're doing constantly. Hopefully that's a little less intense your second time around.

6. The food is...not new.

This year, you may have to be a little more creative with your meals. Unless you go to Furman, of course, our food is typically excellent. FU. Is the Sophomore 15 a thing?

7. You can go to events you were too scared to last year.

It is all a lot less overwhelming this year. The pressure to be as social as possible is off, and you can do it because you want to. Sweet relief.

8. It feels good and strange to come to school and already have friends.

It is so pleasant to come to college and already have people to see and hang out with. A stark contrast from freshman year. Now, you and your friends can find new friends!

9. NO AWKWARD ORIENTATIONS!!!!

This is the best one by far. I hate orientations. Avoid them at all costs, really. This year consists of many less fun fact, "introduce yourself" circles.