The Song That Will Always Remind Me Of You

‘Raise your glasses for a toast to a little bit of chicken fried.’

588
Daily Motion

There’s always that one song that will always remind you of someone near and dear to your heart, whether they’re with you or not. It was six months ago on a Saturday evening that I heard the news that I wish wasn’t true, the news that would change the way that I listen to one song. That night around 9ish I started a 20 min walk to my friends house whom was having some friends over. I had not even made it half way to his house when my phone rang, it was my mother. I answered and she started with that dreaded line that I hated to hear, it was the line that made every bone in my body ache. She had called me to tell me that a family friend, another brother to me had passed away at only 25 years old. I lost it right in that moment; I dropped to the ground in the middle of the sidewalk and just sat there. I could not move, I had just lost a part of my heart. The following morning I went home to be home with my family and we all came together to support one another. September 9th,2016, my 21st birthday is one birthday that will always be engraved in my memory. I woke up that morning to attend a funeral that I was not prepared for and never would be. Jimmy was someone who could make anyone smile with his goofy smile. He was someone that greeted you with a hug and didn’t leave without giving you another hug. Jimmy is the reason that I can’t and never will be able to listen to ‘Chicken Fried’ the same way again. Its funny how one person can change the way that you listen to one song forever. Jimmy loved ‘Chicken Fried’; whenever he was at our house he would listen to it on repeat. As of lately it’s as if I have been listening to it on repeat, having heard it over 10 times in the last week, I couldn’t help but miss him singing along. No matter what I’m doing when it comes on, I stop and focus on the song. For me it’s a constant reminder that Jimmy is with me always, he doesn’t want me to forget him. For me ‘Chicken Fried’ will never again be just a song because it holds so much more meaning to me now. That song holds that big grin of his, every hug from him, every kind word he said, and all the jokes he made. Whenever I hear ‘Chicken Fried’ it always brings a huge smile to my face because I know that Jimmy is up in heaven jamming out to the song with me. No matter when I hear the song next, whether it is tomorrow or 5 years down the road Jimmy will always come to mind and it will always bring a smile to my face.