You Should Always Make Time For Breaks

Sometimes, Taking A Break Is Exactly What You Need To Refresh Your Mindset And Truly Thrive

Do you include breaks into your regular schedule? If not, you might want to consider it!

54
Jeremiah Hughes

Summer is winding down and now is about the time we start to get stressed about school again or our jobs or whatever else we may be doing. Fall brings in so many holidays and family time. It's hard, (if not impossible), to keep track of it all! I don't know if you were able to get a break this summer, but I do know that we all need to take a break.

We all need time to rejuvenate, rest up from what's behind us, and prepare for the season ahead of us.

College is draining, to say the least. There are so many football and basketball games to go to, Family Weekend, and the ISU Circus. That's not even mentioning the reason you're actually at college — to get a degree! The homework, group projects, ice breakers, essays, hour-long classes, and lectures can completely take away any energy you might have left at the end of the day.

All of us need to take a break.

I don't care how driven you are or how tirelessly you work – we all need to relax and let go for a while. Even if it's just a weekend or a day. We all need that release. Now that the longest break of the year is almost over and it's time to get back to the grind, how are you going to incorporate breaks into your busy life?

I know that's one of the hardest things to do. You might be thinking, "How does this crazy girl think I'm going to take a break while I'm taking 18 credit hours and going to volleyball practice and having a social life?!"

I've been there. I get it. College is busy and tiring. And that's exactly why you need to take a break.

As human beings, we're always going to need rest. Even the strongest of us need to take a day to sleep in and binge Netflix to let our minds relax after writing that 20-page, single-spaced essay on the anatomy of a plant.

Taking a break looks different for all of us. Some people need to get outside and take a hike or just sit in nature for a while. Others need to take a day to watch that show they've been meaning to for months. While others need to take some time to visit friends or family they've been missing dearly.

It truly doesn't matter how you rest – just find something to give yourself a break to recuperate.

There's no one in charge of how you take your break. You get to decide how you want to spend your time. And if you want to completely disregard my advice and work 24/7, 365 days, by all means, go for it! Maybe I'm the only one who feels like she constantly needs to rest. But I have a feeling I'm not alone.

Whatever you do, make sure to take care of yourself. Give your body what it needs – healthy food, physical and mental exercise, sleep, community, and rest. Listen to your mind and body to detect what you specifically need each day, especially after an abnormally long week of midterms or activities.

You owe it to yourself. Give yourself the break you need and deserve. Trust me, it'll go a long way.