I'll Be Someone's Everything One Day, But Today, I'm Everything To Myself

Time is the only way of showing us what really matters.

464
Lexi Schroeder

I'd consider myself a lover.

I love the feeling of having a significant other I can count on. I'm a very independent person, but it's nice to know you have someone you can send a text to or call to come over when you're feeling down or simply just want to lie in bed and watch a movie with.

Although, lately, I've been trying to figure out what's right for me regarding love/dating people. I've been in two serious relationships, one in high school and one almost a year ago. My first one lasted a year and 11 months and my last one was a year and six months. If I'm being 100 percent honest, in my last serious one, I thought that was it. I really did picture myself with him for the rest of my life.

I was happy, enjoyed being with him, and loved showing him off.

Ultimately, we didn't work out and things ended. I truly experienced the worst heartbreak of my life. Fast forward ten months and here I am still single and living a great life.

I tried a relationship a few months back because I felt like I was longing for one. I realized I wasn't all in and I wasn't as into him as I thought. We ended things after a month and that's when I became aware that I can't rush things and the next relationship I'll be in must be with someone I can give my all to.

Since my breakup last May, I've had points where I thought I maybe have met my next boyfriend.

But unfortunately, those ended in my heart being broken once again because they were either not ready for something or we simply didn't communicate what we wanted.

I'm only 21 years old and have my whole life to find someone. I've come to terms that the best things in life happen unexpectedly... so I've had to convince myself to not get my hopes up even though it's hard. Some could say I'm living my best life right now and to an extent, I agree.

Someday, I'll be able to share my success and happiness with someone who's invested in me just as much as I'm invested in them.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.