Some Words Of Wisdom To My New Sisters

Some Words Of Wisdom To My New Sisters

How to have a successful new-member experience.

21
Some Words Of Wisdom To My New Sisters
Chandler Lefevere

This past Sunday, you accepted an invitation to be a part of a new home on your college campus! So with that being said, congratulations! Joining a sorority is such a satisfying and fulfilling experience and I truly cannot wait to see how you grow as a person as you become an active member in the next few months. By making the decision to accept your bid, you not only joined an organization, but a sisterhood as well. As you try to figure out where you fit in within your new sisterhood, I have a few pieces of advice to make your transition easier and smoother.

1. Eat as many meals at the house as possible.

In your first few weeks as a new member, it is important to get to know not only your own pledge class but the rest of the members as well. Other than chapter meetings, meal times are one of the only times a large portion of the chapter is gathered in one location. Make the most of it! Plus, who can pass up home-cooked food? It’s a much better option than the dining halls.

2. Don’t be afraid to talk to the older girls!

Although it might be a bit nerve wracking to go up to an older girl and start a conversation, we would love for you to do so! All the active members are here to help you grow to love and appreciate the chapter as much as they do. We are here to help you with whatever you need in order to be successful! Keep in mind that any one of these girls could end up being your future big and friend for life!

3. Get to know your new member team!

Most sororities have a group of active members that are in charge of educating and initiating new members into the chapter. It is their responsibility to assist in making you more comfortable in the chapter and with other girls. If you need anything at all, don’t hesitate to reach out to them!

4. Attend your new member meetings.

Because you are not yet an active member, you are unable to attend chapter meetings and participate in ritual. (Don’t worry! This comes after you are initiated!) Your new member meetings will be led by your New Member Coordinator and the rest of her team. They will be giving you updates and information of all the upcoming fun that will be going on in the chapter, such as socials, date functions, and philanthropy events. These meetings also serve to educate you on expectations of the new members.

5. Get involved!

As a new member there are so many ways to meet other members and make new friends. By getting involved in things like philanthropy events hosted by not only your own house, but of other members of the Greek Life community, you can meet members of other organizations in addition to forming stronger bonds with members of your own.

Being invited to your new home away from home is an exciting new experience! So get ready for a year full of fun and friendships! I already love you bunches!

Sincerely,

Your New Sister