6 Ways Society has Abused the Digital Age

I'm a Millennial and I support this message

7
pexels.com

I'm a millennial and I firmly believe that the Digital Age has failed us, or better yet we've made a mockery of the vision that began the Digital Age. My problem with technology is not that it makes us lazy, but that we use it to help us stay lazy then we blame technology for that laziness. Then, in order to justify technology's creation, we form apps and games that keep us moving or hold us accountable because we're apparently that irresponsible as a whole. No need to ask me to justify my reasoning because I'm going to give you the necessary examples to plead my case.

1. Texting and Driving applies to grocery carts too

This is what I imagine doing to someone that is stopped in the middle of the grocery store aisle texting. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I am a huge proponent of written grocery lists. If you need to use your phone, that's fine, but once you get in a person's way because you're on your phone, you become a problem to society. Facebook can wait, Snapchat can wait. Tell your friends you'll get back to them once you're done at the store. Get in and get out. What should be an hour trip turns into an hour and a half because you keep starting, stopping and losing your train of though.

2. Apps have gotten out of hand

You don't usually dwell too much on the idea of applications for a phone because it's a minor detail, but in reality there really is an app for everything. Just the other day I heard of an out-patient in a psychological evaluation whom was told by the doctor, upon his departure from the hospital, to download these selected apps that had a list of numbers if he ever needed immediate care or a list of ways to handle his situation if he couldn't get in touch with anyone. Please tell me you're joking. Have we really become so lazy that we can't properly treat our patients anymore? If someone needs immediate care, are we going to tell them to download an app first? It's time we revert back to simpler times, we're beginning to abuse our creation.

3. What time is it?

Heaven forbid if our phones die, we wouldn't know what time it was. We'd have to walk over to our neighbor's house with a bag of sugar to offer a sacrifice so we could ask what time it is. The dependency on technology is astounding to me.

4. Human interaction is at an all time low

Amazingly, our society finds greater pleasure in sitting together in silence on our phones than interacting with one another. The alternative to this is video gamers that spend hours on end chatting with people they may not even know as they blow each other's heads off. Instead of knocking on someone's door to tell them you've arrived to their house, you text them and wait in the driveway for them to come outside or you ask where someone is instead of searching for them in a crowd. Thank heavens for technology otherwise we never would be able to find Waldo.

5. Everything belongs on the interweb

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the correct image to express what I'm about to describe, but we document everything. There's a photographer currently working on an installation of every sunset photo that can be found on Instagram; the piece has around 6,000 photographs to date, if I remember correctly, and that's a project that began in 2006. There's also a book with over a hundred pages full of categories of unnecessary things shared on Instagram, such as airplane food. There are enough photos of airplane food on Instagram to create a section in a book of those photos. Are we grasping society's need to recognize individuals yet?

6. Video games are dissolving our sense of reality

I had friends in high school that would get so excited when their favorite games would come out like Halo or Black Ops. My brothers have always played video games since we were kids, but even when video games weren't full of violence we were mocking the things they were playing in their games like making trick shots on the basketball goal after playing a basketball game or practicing the best wrestling combos that we threw together in the game. But that was a different time, that was a time when the most violent game we could get into was shooting ducks or eating blue blobs in Pacman. There are genuine stories of video game addictions and how lives were ruined by them. Games such as Call of Duty (even if I love playing Zombies) and Assassin's Creed scream disaster for those of us trying to find an easy escape. Put a remote in the hands of someone pleading for something more on the inside, and watch them fall into the depths of catastrophe. Set down your remotes, untangle the headset from your hair and go outside.

I was a millennial born in the age of technology. Technology was built to help ease the pains of our daily living and now we're progressively using it to create sedentary lifestyles. We are at such risk of said lifestyles that we have to create even more apps to help us stay active. Older adults look to me and laugh because they believe I don't remember what a phone with an antenna looks like. Little do they know, I do remember. I remember passing folded paper notes with smudged innocence written on them. I remember wanting help sometimes, no one told me "There's an app for that," or "Google it." I remember when I determined my own individuality, I didn't let thousands of people decide it for me.