5 Societal Pressures That Everyone Faces

Everyone faces them, but who can overcome them?

22373
PEXELS

Do you ever feel that there is always some sort of pressure on you? No matter how "relaxed" you are, there is always something to fix? In my opinion, it today's society, there are unneeded pressures on everyone, in this case millennials of my generation. It all started as early as kindergarten; you were in a new environment a part from your parents and you always tried to seek attention from the kids around you. In middle school, there is an unrelentless pressure of trying to fit in. This sadly brings kids into anxiety and depression.

According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, as many as 2 to 3 percent of children aged 6 to 12, and 6 to 8 percent of teens may have serious depression, and an estimated 2.8 adolescents (aged 12-17) in the United States had at least one major depressive episode in 2014.

Anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the U.S., affecting 40 million adults in the United States age 18 and older, or 18.1% of the population every year. They are the most common mental illness in the U.S., affecting 40 million adults in the United States age 18 and older, or 18.1% of the population every year. So if you think that you may be suffering from this, seek help. There is help everywhere, don't be afraid to ask, there are resources that can help.

In high school, the heartaches and headaches you get from stressing yourself out are brutal. The number one pressure I can think of in high school are grades, the ability to get the best grades to get into the perfect college in order to get that perfect, utopious future.

This pressure stays with individuals to become perfectionists. In life, no one is perfect, everyone makes mistakes and that's what makes us human. Getting good grades is important but if you are incapable of getting that 4.0 GPA, and you are trying your best, that's all you can ask for and do. Employers and other people don't only look at your GPA, they look at your how much effort you put in and how involved you are.

When you are in college you have a lot more freedom to be who you want to be without all the cliques of high school. However, there are still pressures that a lot of college students face. I have created a list of unneeded pressures that society has created that college kids fall fault to:

1. You need to wear makeup to look good.

2. You need a lot of friends to be happy.

3. Money makes you happy in life.

4. Being fit.

5. You need to be in a relationship.

In general, the media and society create a false idealistic person that everyone needs to be. Reality shows and movies show the "best of the best" but these people are just acting, that's not who they are. Be yourself, everyone else is taken. Don't waste your time trying to be that cool kid or that actor you see on TV; look at them as your role model if anything and base your goals on them. Stick to your core foundations and don't let anyone tell you otherwise, because you are the best you, you can be. And remember, always have hope.