"Man Vs. Woman" Doesn't Mean "Masculine and Feminine"

Why Social Norms Are Outdated Norms — Part 1

36
Flickr

Continued from PART 1 available here.

In a recent conversation with my friend Ethan Grimm, he said "I think the best part about being human is free choice and being able to do as we think." He said some other great things but we might not visit the conversation again. The whole thing was brought up when I mentioned the standards of society and how they are so different. This is the 21st century, and times still have yet to change. The only thing that has changed is that now we have moved on to picking on more people. So let's talk about it.

Standards for Females

I wouldn't say females have the worst standards but we do have a lot.

Society has this funny image as to where females need to be up right and proper at all times. We need to look nice and be polite because why wouldn't a lady have manners? It's all about looks. We need to be skinny and tall. Yet one of the best female actresses in the 1950s was someone who was curvy. Ms. Marilyn Monroe.

Ms. Marilyn Monroe once said " A sex symbol becomes a thing. I hate being a thing" yet that's exactly what she became. One of the most popular sex symbols in the 1950s, actually.

The words "slut" and "sloppy seconds" are words thrown around in today's society. You see in today's society, the standard or what society wants is that a female will only have one partner. They also expect females to wait until marriage to have sex even though it is a natural thing. If a female has multiple partners in her life she's got the word "slut" attached to her back as if she committed murder. If she sleeps with one guy after another, then the term "sloppy seconds" is used. A female is to resist the urge. No, I am not praising females who have multiple partners. I'm saying society has a double standard when it comes to sex.

For males it is okay for them to have multiple partners. It's okay for them to have sex before marriage. I thought the saying was "if it is good for the goose, than it is good for the gander"? Apparently with this though, it is a false saying.

Women are also seen as to be neat. Have a clean room, house and car. They must clean the house and cook the food. We are supposed to stay home with the children. Most people would think a stay-at-home-dad is taboo.

Males think that it's Build A Bear Workshop sometimes. They want girls with big breasts, big butts, big thighs, white teeth, clear skin, and they want their girlfriends to wear makeup everyday. Yet they also want someone who is fit, skinny, and barely wears any makeup. Some guys even think it is okay to flirt with other girls while they're in a relationship.

Social norms are not really norms. They are double standards. Women are told they need to look a certain way in order to be accepted, but then we're told to do what we want. Sometimes rules were made to be broken. Marilyn Monroe said it best herself when she said, "If I'd observed all the rules, I'd never have got anywhere."

-Ashley Weaver