Social Media; What Have You Done To Us?

Social Media; What Have You Done To Us?

Why Are We Friends Again?

9
Social Media; What Have You Done To Us?
wikimedia.org

This can be a bit cliche coming from me. I know, I know what you are thinking... SHE is writing about SOCIAL MEDIA!

For months now, there has been this awkwardness in regards to most social media outlets. You can’t post anything without some kind of insult thrown at you, because someone has felt the need to turn your non-political status, into a political, liberal hatin’, shade throwing post.

Now, I admit to my own wrong doing on my Facebook posts, but I never hijacked anyone else’s post or spoke ill about their friends for having differing political opinions, or deleted a friend off of any social media for not agreeing with my beliefs. This election turned friends and family into foes, or at least, they look at you much different now. You’re seated at the dinner table and you can see your uncle beaming with a mouthful of unsaid harsh criticism. “You dirty, filthy, liberal, ridin’ on the back of taxpayers coat tails… just to pay for college to poison your mind with those….(gasp) critical thinking skills!” You look back at him and ask to politely pass the salt, to rub into your already open wounds.

Recently, I noticed something else, and not that I haven’t noticed before… but what happened to people being able to hold a decent conversation? And not one that goes on for a good half hour, but one where you actually see someone you know, or God forbid, worked with or went to school with and can say more than hello too.

There are people who walked by me, not that long ago… and couldn’t even give me the respect to say hello, until I looked them in the eyes and made sure that I said it first. Called them out on it, if you will. I worked with these people… every day. I went to school with these people five days a week. Yet, they turned their cheek and winced at the chance to be a decent human being. On Facebook, you see another side to that person. One who is amazing in people’s eyes and has this fabulous life. They can’t be bothered to like or comment on anything you post on social media either. Not them. They’re too good for that.

Interesting.

Social media has turned some of us into soulless, spineless monsters. Ungrateful, holier than thou monsters.

I’m here to tell you, you aren’t any better than me, or any of my friends like me, who can still converse with people like you, even though we know in our hearts who you think you are.

Over the years, social media has helped me in so many ways. Keeping in touch with friends, finding long lost family, family I didn’t even know I had, finding classmates, fighting social justice issues, posting community events, homework help, recommendations for stores and restaurants, support when I have felt less than myself….but I’ll tell you what, not sure how much longer that can last.

Civility is taking a new turning point in our country and not one that I am particularly fond of by any means.

We went from being able to express our opinions about anything and everything to being afraid to say anything on social media, mainly because it will be twisted into something entirely different or will be screenshot by someone who has taken a particular disdain for you or your lifestyle, your friends, or political views.

I hate to be the one to break it to you...

But you can actually have an intellectual debate with opposing views if you leave out all the name calling and party bashing. Maybe…just maybe… you will learn from each other.

Try it. I should warn you, never debate an english major... We are constantly analyzing and trying to make sense of just about anything.

I hope in 2016 we can leave all these negative Nancys, constantly having to show their opposing views on your comments.

That when you see an old friend or coworker, you actually make the effort to appreciate that moment… because we may never get it back.

When you see a friend post an accomplishment on Facebook or Twitter (how does Twitter even work? All these years later.. still don’t have a clue!) you actually congratulate them. Life is hard, and it gets harder to accomplish anything in this life. Make someone’s day. Be an actual friend, not an observer or a complacent troll.

The older I get, the more I appreciate my supporting, loving, loyal friends. It’s rare to have good friends these days. I’m lucky I have enough online and offline.

Be a friend, not a foe (or Asshole, whichever you prefer).