11 Things That Are Social Constructs

11 Things That Are Social Constructs

We have created a lot of the concepts we are so familiar with.

178581
11 Things That Are Social Constructs
hyperallergic.com

What is a social construct?

Well, it is exactly as it sounds. It is something that is not inherently natural, but created by society. It is an extremely important concept in the social sciences because without them, society would not be the same. The constructs very much shape our lives. But we also shape them. If the existing society changed, new constructs would develop and old ones may weaken. Different societies have different constructs; what is the "norm" here may clash with what is the "norm" in another country.

1. Government

If government wasn't a social construct, there wouldn't be so many differing opinions on what is the "best type of government".

barack obama thank you GIF by Obama Giphy

2. Race

"Race is not biological...There is no gene or cluster of genes common to all blacks or all whites. Were race “real” in the genetic sense, racial classifications for individuals would remain constant across boundaries."

3. Gender

Gender is not inherent. Genders are the socially constructed roles, behaviors, etc. that society considers appropriate for "men" and "women".

4. Femininity/Masculinity

Society tells us what is feminine/ masculine and how it can be displayed. The values tied to masculinity have been generally seen as superior to those associated with femininity.

5. Illness

Societies diagnosis differently, and treat the patients differently. Therefore, the concept of illness is constructed. If it wasn't there wouldn't be as much of a variety of treatments for the "same illness".

Parks And Recreation Thumbs Up GIF by HULU Giphy

6. Marriage

The concept of marriage is not universal. Some versions are more inclusive than others.

7. Family

The stereotypical family dynamic varies from culture to culture; there is no inherent family structure.

Family Color GIF by Ana Pérez López Giphy

8. Organized Religions

Among other things, organized religion was created by humans as a way of connecting to each other.

9. Technology

The importance and impact of technology isn't the same for every society. Some heavily rely on it, while some oppose it.

Just For Laughs Reaction GIF Giphy

10. Deviance

Deviant behavior is extremely relative. One society may consider something to be wrong or different, while another may not.

shailene woodley tris GIF Giphy

11. Education

The process of learning is socially constructed. There is no universal outline for education. The values of society play into the "education experience".

board signs GIF by South Park Giphy