So What If I Have Tattoos?

So What If I Have Tattoos?

Don't judge and don't shame.

124
So What If I Have Tattoos?
Alyssa Paluch

The amount of dirty looks shot in my direction are endless. The body language seriously speaks louder than actual words. But the "discrete" comments whispered are also annoying and sometimes insulting.

"She has a tattoo? More than one? Is she out of her mind?"

"It looks trashy and unprofessional. Don't you know that's permanent?"

"Good luck getting a job with those marks."

"It's not art; it's a sin. She's a sinner. I wonder how God feels about that."

Yes, I have heard ALL of these before in public while I was either shopping at a store, or working at my job.

I have three tattoos total, one of which is pretty noticeable whenever I wear a tank top or a wide neck shirt. The other two are on my feet, cleverly hiding for career purposes; but in the summer, they are visible whenever I wear flip flops or when I go barefoot.

One half of the world is in love with tattoos, and the other half despises them. That does not change the fact that I do have tattoos, and that does not change my mind about them. I love them. I think they're unique and beautiful. Tattoos are ways of expression; you can learn a lot about someone by a simple, meaningful piece of art inked on their body.

So what if I have tattoos? What does that have to do with my grade point average or my intelligence? What does that have to do with my relationship with God? What does that have to do with, frankly, anything?

In the Holy Bible, there is one specific verse in the Old Testament that shuns tattoos completely. It's a sin against our Lord, Jesus Christ.

Leviticus 19:28 states, "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD."

Yes, this is true and it is in writing. But God also tells us not to judge (read the entire book of Matthew, since it's all against judgement). He tells us to love one another, despite our differences and flaws. Tattoos were seen as taboo so very long ago. Although I believe in God and I read the scripture, times have changed, where tattoos are now viewed as artwork with meaning.

Besides, two out of my three tattoos are dedicated to my strong relationship with God: "Matthew 7:12", and "Let Go & Let God". His blessings and words are engraved in my skin. My other tattoo is traced back to my mother's memory. My foot is decorated with hibiscus flowers, a black cancer ribbon, and a palm tree. Her signature at the bottom is the icing on the cake. Now you may wonder what God thinks of them, because it really DOES NOT concern you. God only judges me.

I am aware that these are permanent. But they are NOT trashy. These tattoos hold the secrets and moments of my life; how does that categorize as garbage? That's shameful to waste your breath over. Is it really any of your business to decide what choices I should make for my own body and life?

So what if I have tattoos? How does that affect me getting a job? I'm honestly tired of hearing the word "unprofessional" when it comes to tattoos. Don't get me wrong, I understand from the perspective of unprofessional dress and attire, because I believe that one should dress appropriately for work. I'm just disappointed that certain employers are turning down numerous applicants after an interview because of their tattoos. Apparently, they don't look "good" for the workplace.

My tattoos do not define my integrity. They shouldn't relate to my abilities and work ethic. Tattoos don't automatically qualify me as "not skilled enough". As long as I have some type of college degree, I'm well aware of what I'm doing, and I give 101% effort, I should be okay. I, along with my resume and application, should not be thrown in the discard pile. I should be in the same pool as the other applicants without tattoos. I mean, what's the difference? I guess my tattoos make me a bad person.

No, I am NOT out of my mind. Newsflash: let me do what I want. I'll worry about me, and you can worry about you. What gives you the right? Did you know that if you worry about other people and you spend so much wasted time on judging others, it'll make you grow older quicker?

So what if I have tattoos? Keep on moving along. There is nothing to see here. Mind your own business, because it's not worth fighting and stressing over. I don't judge you for how you dress and I don't judge you for your actions, so why judge me? It's easier just letting it be! How would you feel if you were in my shoes?

So continue throwing those dirty looks in my direction. Keep making those rude comments. My tattoos will still be here when you come back around to shun me again. My tattoos make me who I am and, regardless of what you think, I'll still do what I want so I can be happy. They're not offensive; they're full of life and meaning.

You wouldn't know anyway.