So Long, Soarin' Over California

So Long, Soarin' Over California

This is one fan's farewell to an amazing attraction.
19

On June 17, Disney's Soarin' Over California will be permanently replaced with Soarin' Over The World. Soarin' Over California opened when California Adventure opened in 2001 and so it has been a part of our lives for the past fifteen years. As a Southern California native and an avid Disney adventurer, Soarin' Over California quickly became a staple of our Disneyland trips and I can't really remember a time without it. For me, you simply could not go to California Adventure without going on Soarin' Over California. But it seems that Disney's California Adventure is ridding itself from its California pride since getting rid of the huge California letters and other California landmarks that used to reside in the park and so Soarin' Over California is just next on the list.

So, so long, Soarin' Over California, and that excited feeling when Patrick Warburton (But let's be real; it's Kronk) comes on the screen to tell us all about the ride. So long to his "take off any hats, jackets, glasses, and of course these little beauties" joke in reference to the Mickey Mouse hat and that the dude that takes it off has a bald spot. Classic.

So long, Soarin' Over California and the strong attempts to kick the kayakers and the fly fishers at Redwood Creek or the hot air balloons in Napa.

So long, Soarin' Over California and that wonderful skier at Lake Tahoe who pushed himself off a large boulder and promptly ate it.

So long, Soarin' Over California and your beautiful views of Yosemite and that rainbow hang glider.

So long, Soarin' Over California and that golf ball that definitely made me scream as a child.

So long, Soarin' Over California and the smell of your oranges and your oceans.

So long, Soarin' Over California and the USAF Thunderbirds that startled me for the longest time.

So long, Soarin' Over California and your beautiful views of San Francisco, San Diego, and the Los Angeles traffic.

So long, Soarin' Over California and your view of Disneyland during Christmas and fireworks being right there.

So long, Soarin' Over California and your beautiful song.

I have no doubt that Soarin' Over The World will be awe-inspiring, and will provide something that a lot more people––especially those at Disney World––can relate to. Soarin' Over California was such an innovative ride and I am so pleased that they are upgrading the idea instead of changing something wonderful altogether. But I am sure we will all miss Soarin' Over California, and all the memories that it has given us over the past 15 years.

On behalf of the entire audience, thanks for Soarin' Over California.