Snapchat Triggers Jealousy

Snapchat Triggers Jealousy

Stop letting what everyone else is doing with their lives define your happiness.

1033
Snapchat Triggers Jealousy
Daily Dot

How many times do we pull up Snapchat and have an instant feeling of thinking someone's life is better than yours? While they are spending their Spring Break in Cancun you're lucky to even get off the couch, with every 10-second story you click through your envy grows.

The other day I was talking about how much I struggle with not finding jealously in my heart when I see everyone having fun on Snapchat, especially the ones I'm closest to when I am bored. I realized from several conversations with multiple people that overall this is a genuine issue people struggle with. I quickly realized ultimately it has become the norm to put the most epic events up on our stories not to just please us, but to please the needs of the world. We live in a society where we are constantly trying to one-up each other and if their life seems better than ours then we have to find a way to praise yourself more. I feel like social media is a great way to keep up with people, but just like with everything, there are some dark skeletons it can lead people to. Snapchat lets us wear this mask of perfection, I encourage you to stop trying to put so much care on what you did yesterday at 3 pm because most likely people are just clicking through it.

Do not tell me there has not been a similar scenario where you are sitting on your couch alone wishing you had plans and then you click on Snapchat to see all your friends are hanging out. Your instant feeling is disappointment and envy, but the last thing you need in your hectic life is to overthink a Snapchat story.People are not sitting there plotting of ways to upset you through their Snapchat they are as much involved in their own little world like you are. There is so much more than waiting on a crush to view your story, but go out, and experience what the world has to offer. Remember back in the day when you could click on someone and know their top three best friends, that used to cause so many problems! Snapchat saved so many relationships when they got rid of that feature.

"Let someone else praise you, and not your own mouth; an outsider, and not your own lips."

Proverbs 27:2

Hanging out with your friends should not be focused on taking pictures of a meal before you even taste it. At some point in life, we got so addicted to documenting our lives on social media that we forget to just enjoy the moment. Shove that food down your throat the second after prayer, share moments with friends that don't have a single moment documented on social media, stop rubbing in the world your boo is cute cause trust me we know you love him or her. I am a sucker as much as anyone to brag about my amazing friends through my Snapchat story, the question is, who are you truly doing that for? I am not saying it is a sin to put stuff on your story... just make sure it's for the right intentions, that you are not secretly waiting for the attention or that special someone to view it. The worst way to use it is a way of revenge, such as to rub it in the face of an ex or a friend who leaves you out.

Our stories should be a way of reliving the moments we cherish with the ones we love. To laugh over and over about them consuming a whole spoon full of salt after losing what are the odds or singing high school musical at the top our lungs. Those moments will soon fade after 24 hours, but it's the people who you spent that time investing in or the food you consumed that ultimately matter: not if everyone knows your whole Snapchat life story.

The next time you look at the fifty Snapchat stories refreshing on your phone remember you are truly blessed, Jesus died on the cross for you do to do so much more with your life than live behind a photo on a screen as your only victory.