Snapchat Shows History As it Happens

Snapchat Shows History As it Happens

Through Snapchat, people are becoming more engaged with the news at a more human level, even when it's half a world away.
17

Rapidly, the importance of Snapchat in reporting the news is growing. Snapchat's accessibility, ease of use, and popularity have made it a superior platform for communicating the news through the people experiencing it.

That was incredibly evident after the U.S. Supreme Court's decision to declare bans on gay marriage unconstitutional, when the Snapchat story "Gay Pride" captured the awe of people around the U.S. who had been waiting years, even decades, for the news. Snapchat also engaged people who might not have otherwise been so in tune with the news, bringing it home to them in a unique and powerful way.

This trend continued most recently in Greece, where financial crisis has struck and the nation is working to figure out what it should do next.

A vote on whether or not Greece should accept aid from the rest of Europe hit the nation Sunday, and through Snapchat, many citizens weighed in with strong opinions.

The bleakness of the situation was expressed on Snapchat with this graphic highlighting some of the many major effects the crisis is having on Greece. Banks have been shut down and people are limited to withdrawing only 60 Euros per day ($66 USD).

While some supporters vouched for “YES” or “NAI” through Snapchat, most strongly opposed with a “NO” or “OXI.”

After it was announced that the vote had come up majority no, Snapchat captured the festivities, with Greeks celebrating in the streets with marches, fireworks, and performances.

It seems that most considered the idea of a European bailout too "humiliating."

As European leaders go back to discuss future steps to help pull Greece out of the financial crisis, the world is now more in tune with the issue thanks to Snapchat. While the people of Greece spoke out, the world looked on, something that would not have been so easily possible without the quickly-spreading app.