Smash Bros. Reverse-Main Tournaments

Smash Bros. Reverse-Main Tournaments

The benefits that come a step away from the meta.

687
Smash Bros. Reverse-Main Tournaments
TheEvilTurnip

Reverse-main tournaments can be a casual and fun experience. They are pretty simple to implement as well. They hold all the rules of a regular, singles tournament with the added twist of having to play as the character your opponent normally plays as. Not everyone practices with every character, and people will always have some character they don’t like at all. I see reverse-main tournaments as a good excuse to get people out of their comfort zone and try something they normally wouldn’t get the chance to.

Results of reverse-main tournaments are intriguing in the sense that a typical top player might not place as well, or general underdogs may get their chance to shine higher up in a tournament bracket. It’s likely that a good player may only be good with the same couple of characters that they exclusively play in each and every tournament, or that a player who may not be as strong in tournaments has a wider range of general knowledge out of the character roster. These factors are definitely significant in mixing up the results from this special form of tournament. However, it is also pretty likely that a player may place well normally simply because they have a solid understanding and implementation of the game mechanics. This type of skill goes beyond intricate character knowledge, advanced tech, etc. Rather these players are strong in their own sense. They may not be winning tournaments, but perhaps they do decently. In reverse-main tournaments, where competitors have to play a different character for every match, it is often these mechanic-based players shine the most. As they demonstrate their knowledge and applicability in new and different circumstances to quickly gain an edge on their opponent.

There are a few things to consider going into a reverse-main tournament. One is that because you have to play your opponents’ typical main characters, they too will have to play yours. This means you’ll have to play against the same character in every round. This, of course, has its own banes and boons. By solely having to play against your own main, you hold a greater sense of awareness about what your character does, how they play, and what they’re capable of. Interestingly, the very same edge you may have can also backfire. As your opponent, who likely doesn’t play your main character as much as you do, will choose options and do things that might seem atypical, thus catching you off guard. There is also the factor that many players do not like playing mirror matches in regular tournaments. In reverse-main tournaments, you’ll still have to play against your main character, but now with the potential hindrance of having to do so while using a character you’re less skilled with.

Not everyone will like reverse-main tournaments; they certainly will attract a smaller crowd as it is clear that there is a less competitive vibe about them. They are really more geared towards casual fun in a competitive structure, and it is perfectly understandable that not everyone will be into that. Although it is also true that it can attract and introduce new players into the scene who may be initially intimidated to enter a super competitive, regular tournament right off the bat.

While it is true it means a player will have to forgo on having a tournament to practice and get better with their main characters, it does give players a good chance to learn a little bit more about other characters, how to quickly adapt to new situations, and practice the game solely focusing on mechanics rather than character-specific tech. Getting this small chance to walk a mile in someone else’s shoes (or in someone else’s main) is overall a beneficial way to make a player more well-rounded, all while having a little fun along the way.