What It's Like Being A Small Town Radio DJ

I may not be a small town celebrity, but I am small town radio personality and that to me is way more awesome.

98
Casey Whoolery-Pratt

I have worked at a local radio station in my small town since the summer of 2013, and man, did it teach me the world. I couldn't have fallen deeper in love with any other job I have ever had. This is a huge thanks that goes out to my two favorite people/bosses out there, Jeff and Richard. These guys taught me to reach for the stars and to continue pushing and striving for a better me. So with all of this being said, here is what it is like being a small town radio DJ:

First thing is first, I definitely wouldn't consider myself a small town celebrity. However, I would say it is pretty cool to be recognized as the radio personality you portray. I learned who you are on the radio should always reflect who you are off the radio. You would think this is very obvious, but sometimes it is not.

You get to meet some of the most talented people around. Whether that be artists, local talent, other radio personalities, or anyone else who walks through our station. It is a very humbling experience to have one on one connections with people who are making a name for themselves, and that they are taking the time to hold a conversation with you.

As I mentioned earlier, it is important to portray the person you are on the air, off the air. And it is very exciting to get to be involved in the community when doing so. I was always raised knowing that community is important, and it is a different experience when you are getting to interact with it and representing something like radio at the same time.

I didn't realize it right away, but I slowly became a role model for quite a few youth in the community. I still get calls, when I come home to work over my college breaks, from one of my favorite listeners. It is so life changing when I receive calls like these, with a simple, "I'm so glad you are back," or, "I'm going to miss you while you're gone".

My loyal listeners grow and experience this journey with me. From my first day on air to the times I come home, I am very humbled to know that the community gets to hear me experience one of my many passions. They have heard me grow as a radio personality and as an individual, and that is the coolest thing to me.

Working here for the past many years, I have also learned more than any class has taught me. So here is what my two amazing bosses and one small town radio station have taught me:

I learned that nerves can be heard. Just because your audience cannot see you, doesn't mean that can't tell how nervous you are starting your first show by the sound of your voice. Be strong, be proud, and be confident. Most importantly, just when you start to get comfortable talking on air, you need to push yourself to take on the next challenge.

Whether that be commercials, giveaways, talent spotlights, artist backgrounds, interviews, or whatever else you feel uncomfortable trying. Radio is a source of entertainment, be apt to change and striving for more.

I will always be grateful for the experiences I have received from such an amazing career and place. It has done nothing but raise high hopes for myself and to make my aspirations bigger than the galaxy. Thank you again to the people mentioned earlier, and to the radio station I can always call home.