Living In A Small Town USA

I Once Thought This Small Town Would Ruin Me Until I Found Treasure In The Ruined

I have found treasure in the ruined. And some days may be better than others but this small town has brought me blessings beyond measure.

79
Instagram.com/meg101hayes

I used to think that this small town would ruin me, but now I realize, in the ruin, that I've found amazing treasure. I used to be told that if I stayed in this small town then that was it for me. I wouldn't measure up to anything and I'd be a nobody. I'd be "stuck" here.

And that idea consumed and controlled every choice I have ever made. I even attended a University in a complete other state far away from this town and into the big city.

I have no regrets. Except that I allowed my life here to be controlled by caring all too much about what I was told when I was growing up. I focused on what people would think in this small town. And now I'm in the midst of trying to figure out what's next and I find power in taking risks because of this small town.

In high school, I hated being in a town where everyone knew everything. And sure it forced me to make better decisions in the public's eye because I knew people were watching. Younger kids were watching me and ultimately have made me a better person. But still, I did feel trapped and suffocated. That is until I got out of this place for a while.

Years out of high school and the drama, I've come to realize that I could really care less about what people think of me.

Yes, I returned from University and I now live and work in this small town. But I don't feel trapped. I feel inspired.

Inspired to see the world. To get out of my own way and comfort zone. To be different.

Who knows where I will be in a month, year, 5 years...But I know that no matter what, I'm not a nobody. I'm NOT doomed or disappointment.

And the people who know and love me will never see me as such. And the one who truly matters created me as a somebody and that's what I will hold onto.

My challenge to you, my dear reader, is to find things in your life that feel mundane. Find things that feel tiresome or are making you feel stuck. And then look for things to be thankful for out of these mundane things, events, and daily routines. Where is that one small thing that will push you to the next day and allow you to be inspired? And then just GO FOR IT!