Nine Things To Do When You Can’t Sleep In College

Insomniacs unite!

1597
Fast Company

Imagine this: You’re running non-stop from class to class and barely have enough time for bathroom breaks-- Then, a sporting event you have to go to for extra credit, the relaxing part of your day is taking a shower (and let’s be honest a shower is a job in and of itself). You emerge, hair wet, and teeth chattering, and when you finally lay down to catch some Z's you find yourself... wide awake. Frustrating, isn't it?

We’ve all had one of those days when all you want to do all day is sleep, yet as soon as the opportunity presents itself sleep is suddenly physically impossible. So here are nine things that you can do if you can’t fall asleep that not only will relax you but will put you in the mood to get some of that much need REM sleep. Just a heads up, I am not a sleep expert but through experience I have found these activities to help me fall asleep!

1. Read a book

This first one may seem obvious to people but it’s all about what book you're reading to ensure that you will in fact fall asleep. Now the book shouldn’t be boring, like an assignment for school (haha), because you want your mind to simulated just enough to be focused on something other than sleep. Although you don't want a page-turner because then you'll want to stay up all night reading! Reading an assignment for school isn’t a desirable choice because your mind will be working on overdrive to remember every little thing that happens. Reading for school sometimes feels like work as well, so if you decide to read to book to help you sleep, choose a book that you’re interested in reading, whether it's a mushy romance novel or John Green's tear-jerker “Looking For Alaska.”

It’s important to do things for yourself every once in a while and what better time than when you’re about to go to sleep? Doing something you enjoy before you go to sleep also helps you go to sleep happy, which is good for your mental and physical health.

2. Drink a hot cup of tea

Tea not only tastes amazing, but the warmth helps your body relax, which is exactly how you should feel before going to sleep. Black, Green, and Oolong teas are mildly caffeinated, and will keep you awake instead of help you sleep, so aim for herbal teas to achieve the warm relaxing effect without the pick-me-up drugs.

My favorite tea is raspberry zinger and contrary to what the name says it doesn’t give me much of a “zing” and instead puts me in tranquil state. The warmth of the tea not only feels great in your hands but helps warm your insides to a comfortable and soothing level. Strangely enough, feeling the warm tea in my stomach is very relaxing. If you don’t care for tea (heathen) try warm water with a lemon or a warm cup of milk. The cup of milk may sound childish but it helps you relax and ensures you get your calcium for the day.

3. Listen to Soothing Music

Music is a glorious thing because it can pump you up for a big night out or can help you Zen out. In this case, I would suggest listening to the sound of rain or other nature sounds like waves or the rainforest. If the sound of moving liquids makes you have to pee, I’d suggest instrumental music (without lyrics), or with lyrics in a language you don't understand. The goal is to detach your conscious mind from focusing on anything so you can drift off to sleep. It’s helpful to listen to music when you’re trying to sleep because the one constant sound becomes rhythmic and soothing. The slow rhythmic sounds of the waterfall and piano will help slow your breathing and heart rate.

4. Knitting

Usually associated with old women, knitting does truly offer a relaxing experience. I am only a beginner, but I can say from experience that it stimulates your mind enough to function, yet helps you get ready for sleep. A plus is that by preparing for sleep by knitting you also guarantee yourself a warm scarf for the winter!

Knitting can be frustrating at first, but it becomes second nature with practice and soon enough you’ll be doing it without thinking, which is a perfect mindset when you're trying to sleep. The sound of needles clicking together is soothing to me and may just work for you too!

If knitting isn’t your idea of relaxation, some other similarly methodical art forms include coloring and crocheting. Any small task with your hands helps keep your mind stimulated just enough to keep your mind on the task and not on the idea of sleep. The key is to find something that will distract you from sleep so then you will fall asleep. Nothing ensures wakefulness like trying to think yourself to sleep.

5. Yoga

I'm not suggesting you do a full session of Bikram yoga, but rather to engage in some simple stretches to get the desired effects. Child's Pose and Downward Dog are two simple yoga poses that you can hold for long periods without much strain. These two poses help the body release tension. Yoga also helps the body circulate more blood through the body at an elevated rate but not to a rate that would exhaust the body. Plain stretching is helpful too because it loosens the body up and helps it to relax. Gentle exercises such as stretching and yoga help the body realize that it is tired and needs to recharge.

6. Make a To-Do List For The Following Day

People who have trouble sleeping are often kept up with thoughts of the things they have to do the following day. To alleviate this, it’s sometimes helpful to make a to-do list. A to-do list helps you organize your thoughts on a sheet of paper so you can visualize clearly what you have to get done the next day. Frequently the list will be shorter than you thought it would be! Seeing the list in your hand not only helps you keep track of what you need to get done, but also makes you realize that you have a whole day to get those things done. Lists are great for everything from helping you pack for that big vacation to identifying what to study in that big biology test coming up. To-do lists help put things in perspective and make you realize that you are capable of doing what's before you.

7. Keep a Journal

Writing may sometimes feel like work, but when it’s about yourself and for your eyes only, it can become easier to do. Keeping a journal or diary as a part of your evening ritual can help you fall asleep because you can write about all the things you got done that day or that moment when you talked to your crush for a full five minutes. Keeping a journal is beneficial because when you feel like you got nothing done that day when you retrace your steps you realize that you actually participated a lot in class that day and helped a friend through a break up.

Writing in your journal is also a gentle way to get your mind to think about something other than sleep, which like I said before helps you to do just that. Most valuably, it gives you something to look back on when you’re old and grey, and finally able to sleep all day long (something that you’ve been dreaming about all these years).

8. Organize your closet

Organizing anything from your shoes to your backpack is beneficial to helping you fall asleep because it helps you feel more in control of your life. Feeling like you’re in control of your life helps you fall asleep because you know that you are going to sleep knowing that your life is in order. Organizing your closet in particular gives you a chance to pick out your outfit for the next day. This not only gives you more time to sleep because you won’t be scrambling to find matching socks, but also makes sure you aren’t rushing to get out the door. Knowing what you are going to wear in the morning is one less stressful thing on your mind when you go to sleep.

9. Pamper yourself

If you are having trouble sleeping it may be because your face still has gunk on it from the last fifteen or so hours. So instead of tossing and turning for an hour, get up and wash your face and make sure to brush your teeth. Doing these two things not only keeps you hygienic and prevents breakouts, but also makes you feel clean. When you feel clean you feel happy and when your happy you more than ready to go to sleep. Going to sleep happy helps you start the next day off right, which is something everyone needs! It is important to get eight hours of sleep every night and with the help of some tea and coloring books you’ll be falling into Slumberland in no time!