Slaying the Dragon

Slaying the Dragon

So, how do you slay your proverbial dragon, when you’re utterly unprepared to do so?

10
Slaying the Dragon
Pexels.com

I’ve found myself in a myriad of odd positions I never expected to be in throughout 2015-2016. Man, life was sweet back then. In the early half of 2015, I was living it up in college, surrounded by the 30 Sorority sisters I lived with in a cushy Sorority house just down the block from campus. I was taking thought-provoking classes in a major I loved, my boyfriend lived down the road, and all I had to worry about was churning out the last of my classes before graduation. Life was easy, the parties were a-plenty, and the future was bright.

Fast forward to the end of 2015. Freshly out of college, I had narrowly escaped a job I’d loathed to move into something more suited for my major. The fall of 2015 had not been kind. I’d been thrown out into the world, vulnerable, fresh and broke. I had to start building my savings, I had to learn what it was like to pay each and every bill, and if something didn’t get done, I had no one to blame but myself. My parents lived across the country. I had full control of my own finances. There were many times I felt a knot-like feeling in the pit of my stomach on multiple occasions where I dealt with things I was not mature enough or fully-equipped to handle.

Very recently, I made another career move. I’ve been in spots where I’ve felt uncomfortable more times in the past year than I can count. I’ve had to step up to the plate and go well beyond my years. Each and every time, I feel that sick, knot-like feeling in my stomach. Like I’m suiting up with my armor, ready to go and slay the dragon on my own. Except I don’t have armor (life experience), I don’t have a weapon (I’m very young), and I’m stumbling into a dark dragon’s den, where their vision is surely much better than mine. To put it bluntly, I’ve been tossed out like a piece of meat for a hungry beast, and yet I’m expected to slay this dragon. I must slay this dragon, lest I be stuck in a degrading cycle or continue to put up with situations that may demean me or take advantage.

So, how do you slay a dragon when you’re utterly unprepared to do so? We’re leaving cheese-country and heading into cornsville, because what I’m about to say it so cliche, it nearly sickens me, but it’s true. How does the hero in a movie slay a dragon when they’re clearly unfit to do so? It has nothing to do with their armor. It has nothing to do with how sharp their blade is. More often than not, this trope matches my analogy--the character is utterly unprepared and nearly looks foolish, stumbling into this dangerous situation. It’s the character’s heart, fearlessness, and perseverance in the pursuit of truth that truly ensures their victory.

Even against all the odds, they obliterated the dragon because they didn’t give up. By having honest, good intentions, and standing their ground, their confidence elevated them to the point of becoming a threat. Suddenly, what would have been a minor nuisance to a dragon previously has now destroyed it. What I’m getting at is this--no matter how big your dragon is, no matter how unprepared you are, you can do it. You must. As long as your intentions are good, you stand your ground, and you continue to fight for what you deserve--you’ll eventually have it. Be fearless. Now, go out there and slay your own damn proverbial dragon.