Why you NEED a skincare routine
Beauty Fashion

Why you NEED a skincare routine

No matter your age, 14, 22, 45, or 77, you should have a skincare routine that is easy for you to complete each and every day.

21
Why you NEED a skincare routine

As a teenager, I struggled with cystic acne. When I started accutane at age 14, I was forced to develop a three step skincare routine to avoid over drying. Before using dermatologist recommended products, I used a foot exfoliator on my face (EW!) and toothpaste to dry out my pimples. Fast forward 10 years, I now have a 10-12 step skincare routine depending on masking and exfoliating days.

For beginners, I recommend a simple three step routine: 1. Gentle cleanser, 2. Witch Hazel Toner, 3. Oil free moisturizer (night) and SPF (day). Once you have integrated this into your daily routine, you can start to expand. Eventually after years of work, your skincare routine should look similar to this:

1. Oil Cleanse (This will remove all of your oil based products such as makeup and mascara)

2. Gentle Cleanse (This is to remove the oil as well as any water based products you have used on your face)

3. Exfoliate (You should only exfoliate AT MOST three times a week. This is to remove any dead skin cells to avoid breakouts. Over exfoliation will dry your face out, resulting in oilier skin and this more breakouts.)

4. Tone (Toning is a step overlooked by many people. Toning gets deep into your pores and reaches dirt and oils that the cleaners cannot. Swipe a cotton pad saturated with toner over your face and see the difference!)

5. Mask (This is not an every day step. At most you should mask three times a week. Over masking can clog the pores and cause more issues. Face masks are a concentrated portion of skincare benefits and are necessary once or twice a week to give your skin a boost of nutrients)

6. Serum (After toning, I always apply a serum to my face. I have one for days and one for nights. Serums are one of the most beneficial items for your skin. Serums do almost anything depending on the ingredients, so it is important to identify your needs/issues in order to find the right serum for you.)

7. Eye cream (Using your ring finger, gently pat an eye cream into your under eye area. This will help prevent crows feet and wrinkles caused by squinting, as well as improve the appearance of dark circles.)

8. Moisturizer (Many people believe if they have oily skin, they do not need to use moisturizer. This is NOT true. Oily skin is dehydrated skin. If your skin does not receive enough moisture, it produces more oil to compensate. Using a good moisturizer will actually make your skin less oily. I also recommend starting anti-aging creams as early as possible. The younger you start, the more youthful your skin will stay. Another tip: Do not neglect your neck!! Nobody wants a 25 year old face with a 40 year old neck)

9. Spot treatment (This is not an every night thing, nor is it for everyone. This is simply what you apply to an active breakout.)

10. Lip treatment (Once again, this is not mandatory. This can be as simple as wearing vaseline or chapstick on your lips before bed.)

Now, lets talk products. Remember, whatever you put on your skin enters your body through your pores. Using products with harsh chemicals is not good for your skin, nor is it good for the inside of your body. I try to use natural based products whenever possible.

For oil cleansers, jojoba oil is a solid choice for any skin type. It does not clog pores and it has a very mild smell.

For gentle cleansers, i prefer Cetaphil. It is also perfect for even the most sensitive skin types, and is noncomedogenic.

For exfoliators, I prefer an organic coffee scrub. You can find these at Walmart, Target, Ulta, Sephora, etc.

As I mentioned earlier, I prefer to use Witch Hazel toner. It clears my breakouts up as well as any other tiny patches of bumps.

For serums, anyone can benefit from a vitamin C serum or hyaluronic acid. These both brighten and plump the skin.

For eye cream and moisturizer, I use Mizon snail extract repairing eye cream as well as the repairing night cream. These creams are water based and do not clog pores. They literally melt into the skin. Also they are made primarily of natural ingredients which are (in the long run) better for both the inside and outside of your body.

I prefer to use Mario Badescu Drying Lotion as a spot treatment for my pimples. It dries them up within three days of usage and it does not cause over-drying or irritation.

Thank you for reading, I hope this has been a beneficial insight for you. After reading this overview of skin care routines, check out my other articles that go in depth about each step and ingredients for each skin type. Stay gorgeous xoxo