St. John's University Tells A Dignified "Speech and Debate"

Not everything is what it seems on the "pristine" surface of nuclear suburbias-- and "Speech and Debate" is hardly scared to tell you exactly how it is.

29
Chappell Players Theatre Group

Stephen Karam's "Speech and Debate" has given countless rise to discussions across the board of relevant criteria. Specializing in storytelling unique to the generation, Karam hardly holds back-- exploring topics of sexuality and self-acceptance, pairing humor with the dark undertones of an encroaching reality. Using his zany backdrop of characters leading a musical involving Abrahan Lincoln, Karam touches not only on questions of personal identity but that of intervening a dark truth through the "personal" prose of this motley team in order to uncover a dark truth...

Following the story of three misfit teens, Diwata, a "self-created star," Howie, an openly gay individual in small town suburbia who is solicited by the school's drama teacher on the internet, and Solomon, a hard-hitting journalist in the making, "Speech and Debate" is a dark comedy with music. The trio creates a speech and debate team in order to attempt the exposure of the drama teacher at their high school who preys on teenage boys. So, with the help of a musical version of "The Crucible" combined with time travel and a young Abraham Lincoln, Diwata, Howie, and Solomon address the issue of gay adults at their school.

It is material that requires a steady hand of direction and finesse in order to achieve its highest potential. It is a piece that weighs so heavily on not only its text but what roads its successors will choose to lead it down. Let alone, it isn't typically tackled within the stereotypical "catholic school" setting... If I can even go far enough to say, it is often dismissed by such institutions altogether. But, like the source text itself-- it just takes the perfect conditions, to pull this art out of the bag and introduce it to an audience that is just dying to hear it. Playing against modern "stereotype" and realizing full well, that this is a story that deserves to be told.

Helmed by a team of dedicated creators, "Speech and Debate" is finally finding its home at St. John's University this weekend-- February 23rd, 24th, and 25th at 8pm.

Being involved with the creative process as dramaturg, there is a first-hand experience not only in the research but also through the viewing of our starting point rehearsal, that inspires not only a feeling of pride, but also one of awe.

St. John's University by all regards is a highly diverse campus. With one glance, that fact is made exceedingly clear. It is a campus of varying self-identities permeating the very soul that beats at the heart of Karam's story.

There is an invigorating ambition from every single cast and crew member that gives a personal life to the moral and character intent of this story. Not one stone is left unturned, and not one topic left by the waist side. It beats all stereotypes and reveals the true openness of a community fully accepting of its diverse roots. Digging into areas of sexual orientation, self-realization, and sexual deviancies-- the Chappell Players not only engage the material respectfully, but realistically. The real life implications embedded deep within the text are so carefully observed and finessed to a point of perfection from any unbiased tongue.

There is a true relevance, especially in today's political turmoil, that is undeniably the main vein of its moral. In a world suddenly thrust into uncertain terms, these points of social as well as personal acceptance are the main resolves that we need to strive towards... And "Speech and Debate" makes no qualms in making that front and center.