Six Things You Know if You Grew Up Going to a Small Private School

Six things that are all to familiar if you went to a small private school

220

Now when I say small I mean small. As in, I graduated eighth grade with 15 kids in my class and graduated high school with 64 small. So I think it’s safe to say my childhood educational experience wasn’t the norm. For the few who did get to experience this with me and for all you other small private school kids out there, I hope this list fills you with fond memories, or at the very least, a small amount of humor.

1) You were always Playing Jeopardy when it came to the Dress Code.

Whether you were required to wear a uniform or just conform to a strict set of rules This first fact should resonate with you so clearly it hurts. Now, none of the schools I went to require a uniform, which means it was up to us to express ourselves through our carefully crafted outfits, while still fitting in the guidelines of the dress code. As a result, my friends and I spent many a morning debating whether it was worth trying to sneak that jean jacket or those gladiator sandals, with the divider between the toe(scandalous, I know), in order to put the finishing touches, the day’s outfit. If you did decide to take the risk in the name of fashion you then had 8 hours of trying to avoid being, see and dodging the hallways between classes took look forward too. On the plus side, because the dress code was subjected you only had to avoid those certain teachers, we’ll all know who they are, that upheld the dress code so fiercely you wondered if they recited it in their sleep. Looking back, I think I can safely say breaking a few rules in name of properly accessorizing was usually worth it, even if it did get you an after school detention or two. Fun Fact, sometimes to this day if I listen hard enough I can still hear the faint cries of boys in button-down shirts and ties complaining how the dress code is way easier on girls.

2) Dress Down Days Gave Us Life

As a result of not being able to wear whatever we wanted to school every day, if the opportunity to break the dress code legally did arise, it was a big deal. Every student organization or club knew that the best way to raise money for anything was to schedule a dress down day. These were the days you waited for when you could finally break out all those super cute outfits you could only wear on the weekends and show your fellow classmates what kind of fashion chops you really had. Now, it wasn’t complete anarchy, we still couldn’t wear spaghetti straps, but the ability to wear jeans and flip flops was enough for us. A word of caution, however, these days came with a price, so it was highly important you didn’t forget your dollar at home or you would be doomed to running the halls desperate to find a kind soul that could loan you the money.

3) Everyone Knows Everyone’s Business

Honestly, I was amazed at how fast information traveled through these small hallways. I’m not exaggerating when I say that Investigative reporters could learn tips from our ability to spread in learn information. Whether it was the latest scandal from last weekend’s party or just generic petty gossip, nothing and no one was safe from the private school information super highway. If it was first said at 9 everyone would know by lunch, and that was a slow day. We learned quickly that there were no such things as secrets really and it was only a matter of time before everyone and their mom knew.

4) Your Teachers were much more than just your Teachers

Going to such a small school changes the relationship you have with your teachers. Often times they double as your coaches, club leaders and advisors. These adults get to know you as more than a student learning algebra in their class but instead, as a person. Many of these teachers probably know your parents, some may have even gone to school with them. The teachers I had cared about us far beyond just academically. Even though we sometimes resented it when we thought they were “prying” into our personal lives, we know it was just because they cared. So whether they were simply comforting us while during a minor emotional breakdown, inviting us into their home for a back to school pancake brunch, or even taking us to Spain, their impact on us will last far beyond our academic career.

5) You and Your Classmates Walk a Fine Line of Being Brothers and Sisters and Dating Each Other

Now I know this sounds weird but before you get creeped out beyond the point of no return. hear me out. Growing up going to school with the same small number of kids, you form a bond that’s like no other. One minute you fight and want to rip each other’s eye balls out, and the next you can imagine growing up without them. Especially for a kid like me, who was an only child, these kids literally become your siblings. With that being said however, as we grow up feelings change, and with such little students means very little variety. Suddenly, that kid who you sat at lunch with without giving it a second thought, now gives you butterflies. More common than not there are usually more girls than guys in these classes so as you got older it was likely more than one of your group dated or at least made out with the same guy. Somehow we all made it through without flying into a jealous rage and killing each other... so I guess that’s good.

6) You Never Really Leave

Growing up going to such a small school you become a family. All the years of inside jokes, unique school traditions, and let’s be honest, the fact that these people not only saw you during your awkward phase but continued to be your friend during and after (to everyone who knew me back then you are the real MVPs), builds a relationship that no one else will ever understand. Even if you haven’t seen them in years you still have at least one or more embarrassing facts or memories about them stowed away and for that they will always hold a special place in your life. Whether it’s just your former school’s bumper sticker that you spot while driving down the highway in your hometown, or a care package you receive in college 5 years after you graduated the eighth grade, these smalls schools have a big impact on our lives.