6 Reminders To High Schoolers Graduating In Just A Few Weeks

Graduating high school can be bittersweet, but college is the best time of your life.

109
Unsplash

It’s May which means all high school seniors are getting ready to wrap up a chapter in their life and move on to the next big step.

Graduation is just around the corner, and even though it’s been a couple years, I can still remember the bittersweet excitement that grew with each passing day before graduation. What I didn’t realize then was how much brighter the future ahead of me was.

The fun times in high school were nothing compared to what happened once I started college.

1. The freedom

There’s nothing like coming to campus and having the freedom to grab a bite to eat with friends and sit outside chit-chatting over funny Snapchats and other goofy students. There’s no teachers monitoring everything you do and telling you where to be and when to be there. You can also wear whatever you want; in high school there is often a pretty strict dress code. Nothing was worse than having to wear jeans in the heart of summer to classes. The professors and students on a college campus treat you like adults and allow you to act the way you want to (within reason). This is nice because it makes going to school more enjoyable and gives you the opportunity to learn more about yourself and how to better express the you that you really are.

2. Everywhere is a judgment-free zone

Although many people say that high school is all about finding yourself, I really didn’t have the opportunity to freely explore who I was until college. In high school there are cliques, and you’re often searching for the group of people you fit in with. Or you’re trying to wear the same style as everyone else so you don’t look like the ‘weirdo’ because you’re a little different. However, on the grounds of a college campus, there is no judgment for being any different or dressing differently than everyone else. You can show up in your pajamas or in the most bizarre outfit and people won’t say a thing to you. In reality, everyone there supports you because everyone goes through the same things as you do. People sit in the library for long hours, crying about assignments and finals. And instead of judgment, you just get constant support from everyone around you.

3. The friends you make in college last a lifetime

While in high school, you often think that your friends are going to last forever. But coming from someone who graduated two years ago, this is not always true. I’m not saying that some high school friendships won’t last, but the people you meet and grow close to in college often last longer. I’ve met some of the best friends I’ve ever had in college. They’re loyal, stick with me through all the hardships, and act as an amazing support team. I don’t talk to hardly any of my close friends from high school now that we’ve graduated and started college.

4. You get a taste of adult life

In college, you get a real taste of adult life. I’m not going to sugarcoat adult life because it can be rough from time to time. However, it’s super important to start getting a taste of what being an adult really is important. The best thing about college is not just learning new things academically but life lessons as well. This is the first time a lot of people live on their own and learn silly things like how to work a washer or how to clean stains out of clothes. Every day is a full of new knowledge inside and outside the classroom.

5. You get to study something you love

There’s nothing worse than sitting through a boring class learning about something you’re not interested in. That’s one of the main differences between high school and college that makes going to class more fun and enriching. Once you’re finished with general classes, every class you study pertains to something you love. For me, an English major, every class is either literature or writing. I love having every class pertain to my favorite subject and knowledge that I want to gain.

6. College is the bridge to where you want to be in life

High school, every part time job, and relationship is a different step towards where you want to be in life. College is the biggest bridge to cross on the way to the job and life you want to achieve. Every day, you can go to sleep knowing you’re one step closer to getting your ‘big-kid’ job and making your dreams come true. While every stepping stone is important, college is probably one of the most rewarding and fun times in your life. Even through final exams and midterms, every day is still a learning adventure. You learn something new and make unforgettable memories every day you’re in college, and these things will follow you forever.