Dear Little Sister

Dear Little Sister

An open letter to my little sister

20
Dear Little Sister
Barclay Ables

Dear little sister,

When Mom & Dad told me I was getting a little sister, I was ecstatic. A little sister- a breathing, crying, cooing baby doll (that's what I thought anyways). I can remember bringing you home from the hospital and doing the absolute best my five-year-old self could do to tend to your every need. I wanted to take the best care of you that I possibly could.

Now that we're both older, I can't always be there to protect you and take care of you like I used to. So, I'm writing you this letter to give you some advice that may one day save you from a few tears, sleepless nights, and scary days. And maybe even a few heartbreaks. I am writing you this letter to remind you to be the strong young lady you are. I am writing you this letter so that you never forget that you are capable of becoming anything you want to be. I am writing you this letter to teach you things that I didn't know, but wish I had. I am writing you this letter to remind you to be sweet, to remember where you came from, what you've been through, and where you are going. I am writing this letter because I love you and only want the best for you.

Sometimes, life is hard. The older you get, the more responsibilities you have, and the harder life becomes. There will be days that you just want to lay in your bed and cry, but don't do that. Get up. Brush your teeth. Pick out a cute outfit. Put on some makeup. Kick that bad day to the side. You are stronger than any obstacle life throws your way, and I know without a doubt that you can handle a bad day with ease. After all, you are the stronger of the two of us and if I can do it, so can you.

There will be days you want to scream "screw high school," throw your books, and get as far away as you can, but don't do that. Take a deep breath, step away for a few minutes, and remember: better days are coming. High School is only a stepping stone to bigger and better things, and if you really want to be that baking, floral designing, lawyer, wedding planning, engineering, geneticist that I know you want to be-- keep on keeping on. You can do it. Better days are coming. Just remember that.

There will be days that you "hate" mom and dad. The rules may seem absolutely crazy and the curfews way too early. But don't forget, that they only want the best for you. You growing up isn't any easier for them than it is for you. Tell them you love them as much as you possibly can and spend lots of time with both of them. When you move away, you're going to wish they were just right across the hall like they have always been. I promise.

People are mean. It sucks. This world is so much bigger than our little town, and the people are much more hateful than me eating the last cookie or wearing your necklace without asking. People will break your heart. There will be people who run over you, who will talk bad about you, and who will disagree with you, but just smile and turn the other cheek. (I know that will be hard for you, but take it from me-- it's what's best.)

Always smile. Please. Your personality is so bubbly, you are so outgoing and kind, and there will be people you encounter who are going to need someone like you in their life. Hang out with the "weird kid," smile at the "ugly guy," eat lunch with the "lonely girl." You'll be so thankful you did.

Make new friends. "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver the other is gold." Just do it.

Be brave. Take chances. Sing out loud. Dance in the rain. Laugh until you cry. Be true to yourself. Be funny. Tell the stupid joke. Love without holding back. Live life to the fullest.

Don't you ever forget that I am just a phone call away.

I promise if you do these things life will be so much easier.

I wish I could put into words how thankful I am for you & how drastically different my life would be if we had "left you at the hospital" like I had requested years ago, but today and everyday, I am SO thankful we kept you. No one could replace you.

To my sassy, bratty, loving little sister: I love you and I wish you all the best things in life.

Love,

Your big sister (and biggest cheerleader)