Singleness: What Does God Say?

Singleness: What Does God Say?

Because we all know waiting sucks

40
Singleness: What Does God Say?
The Campus Crop

Ahh. Love. That wonderful exciting, butterfly mush you feel in the pits of your stomach. That silly, weak in the knees, head spinning, rush of emotions, making you feel like you can fly! We all have seen examples of this feeling.

Romeo and Juliet. Han Solo and Princess Leia. Jim and Pam Halpert. Buttercup and Wesley. Noah and Allie. Corey and Topanga. Chuck and Blair. Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy. Luke and Lorelei. Nathan and Haley. Every Disney couple ever (minus Hans...what a jerk!).

And then...there is you.

We all have been there. That season of life when you are in a perpetual downward spiral in relationships and you wonder...will you EVER find that one God has in store for you? You sit there alone on a Friday night watching Netflix while your best friend and thelove of her lifego out again for the 769th time this month, wondering, where you can find that kind of love. The kind that sweeps you off your feet and leaves you dreaming about the future. You wonder, why is it that everyone else around you seems to be happy--but you’re still alone.

Songs of Solomon 8:4 states this: I adjure you, O daughters of Jerusalem, that you not stir up or awaken love until it pleases (ESV).

Waiting for your hearts desire and the love of your life sucks, and there is no other way to put it. However, God wills His children to wait. Here is what God says about waiting...

Your value is in HIM; not in a relationship.

When a believer comes to Christ, they are immediately filled with the Holy Spirit and the desires of God's will. The believer, then runs full force toward God and His will for their life. When someone is looking for outside sources of value in themselves--like through a relationship, they lose sight of what God says about His children.

While you wait, read the following verses:

Proverbs 31:30, Songs of Solomon 4:7, James 1:12

You Have Worth Through Christ, Worth That A Relationship Will Never Provide.

Christ does not make mistakes. Period. Everything that He has done, created, and ordained, has come from His mighty hands. That being said, God gave you beauty and purpose for His world. Many people today, especially young women, seek out relationships to feel as if they are worthy and that they have a purpose. I can firmly tell you that you do have a purpose and you do have worth. With or without that relationship. The title means nothing.

Ruth 3:11, Genesis 1:31, Luke 1:45

Jesus Fulfills Your Hearts Desires.

Your fellow man will let you down. Now, I am not saying that to make life sadder, but people are flawed and we all make mistakes. Sometimes, the person does not even know that they have hurt you or let you down, but they do. Jesus was nailed to the cross for your sins and the sins of others...past, present, and future. He took on the sin we all deserve and embraced the true definition of love, fulfilling our hearts longing.

Isaiah 30:18, Isaiah 60:22, Lamentations 3:25

Be Active NOT Passive While You Wait.

Waiting, as we have discussed, SUCKS! However, what you do with your singleness is just as important as what you do when you enter that season of being in a relationship. As you wait, God says to be active with Him--seeking to know Him further. Do not just wait and allow time to pass you by while you stare at the clock wondering when your "Mr. Right" will show up to sweep you off your feet. Embrace your calling that God has instilled within you while you wait. Go on those random road trips with your best friends. Take that life changing mission trip. Change lives--including yours. Wait with a purpose. Be active, not passive.

Psalm 25:5, Psalm 39:7, 2 Peter 3:9

I am one of the strongest supporters of love and true love conquering all things evil. I am a hopeless romantic to.the.core. However, knowing that your season of waiting verses being in a relationship are just as valuable to each other. Dr. Meg Jay stated within her Ted Talk video, "30 is not the new 20" that we (singles) need to be working on our married lives NOW, before we get married. The purpose of marriage is to glorify God and help make more believers. What a better opportunity to grow than through this season? So, embrace your singleness. Be that third wheel friend. Know God's plan for your life will prevail in HIS time for your life. Everything else, is just worry!