Being Single On Valentine's Day Is The Best Way To Go

It's not the end of the world, I promise!

85

With Valentine' Day just around the corner, there's a lot of pressure to plan a magical day complete with the perfect flowers, venue and of course, the perfect person, But despite all of the hype surrounding this hallmark holiday, it's not necessary to be coupled up to make the most of the day! As someone who has spent many a valentine's day single, I have plenty of experience in the "Lonely Hearts Club" but even though I haven't yet gotten to sweep someone off their feet with a candlelit dinner and a comically large teddy bear, I still really enjoy the day.

Being single on valentines day doesn't have to be tragic! Despite what media and society would have you believe, if you're without a significant other, you don't have to spend the whole day looking dramatically out the window sobbing and wondering why you're just so undesirable. Why? Because it's not true! In fact, flying solo can make for the best valentine's day! For example, valentine's day is when the best chocolate hits the shelves, thankfully for you, you're single! Which means that any chocolate you buy is just for you to enjoy! What could be better than that?

There also seems to be this unspoken "rule" that if you're not romantically involved with someone on the most romantic day of the year, you're sentenced to spend the day alone... NOT TRUE! By not feeling pressured to spend the evening with your partner, you can get together with a group of friends and make your own fun! Get dressed up and go to dinner, go rock climbing, go see a play or even stay in and binge watch a new show it doesn't matter, just grab a group of good friends and make a night out of it! No romantic pressure, no trying to impress anyone just a stress-free night.

On a more serious note, our culture teaches us that the only way to feel fulfilled and happy is to be in a relationship. Obviously, that's not the case but society forces people to believe that their worth is based on their ability to attract other people and Hallmark holidays like valentine's day don't do anything but reinforce that damaging ideal. I think that spending a couple's holiday alone helps to show someone that they have value, worth and success even if they aren't someone's "better half."

Being single on valentine's day isn't uncommon and it certainly isn't the end of the world. In fact, it can be fun and for some maybe even liberating. So if, like me, you're alone this valentine's day don't fret! Just remember that it isn't a bad thing to be single. You still have value and worth and you can make the best out of a goofy commercialized holiday because, in the end, you've got to love yourself.