My Single New Year's Resolution

My Single New Year's Resolution

It's simple: be positive.

11
My Single New Year's Resolution
Tarah Elise Photography

I definitely do not believe that a new year automatically institutes change, but I do believe that with every passing of those 365 days comes a new mindset. Innovation in your personal life depends on your passion, motivation, and support system. Change can be scary, and goals can be hard to achieve, but forget about all those typical goals for a second. Losing weight, becoming more organized, traveling more, saving money, working harder, and whatever other dream for 2017 you have in mind can wait. I only have one New Year's Resolution, and I think everyone could benefit from setting this goal for themselves as well. I present you with one simple challenge that I think could change the rest of your life, not just this new year.

I challenge you to be positive.

Wait, that’s it? That’s all you want? That’s easy!

Before you jump to any conclusions, hear me out.

I want you to examine some of the common New Year’s resolutions or even some of your own. What do you really hope will happen by achieving that goal? And are you sure you aren’t just going to give up after the first two weeks of January? You want to lose weight because you think you look "too big." You want to become more organized because you think your life is a mess and you want to clean it up a little. You want to travel more because you’re sick of being stuck in one place.

Maybe those aren’t the intentions you have, but I’m sure you can relate.

Now back to my challenge: Make your goal this 2017 to be more positive. I promise it will change your entire mindset and you’ll be in a better mood day after day.

Even applying it to your other goals can transform the way you think. If you refuse to think negative thoughts about your body or the way you look and instead, remind yourself about the things you love about yourself, you’ll see your reflection in a whole new light. If you stop worrying about how tight money is and start counting the blessings you already have, finances won’t be such a big deal. Keeping a positive outlook on your current situation will relieve you from stress, put you in a better mood, and improve your relationships. Quit trying to take the negative things from the previous 12 months and turn them into something they’re not simply because it's a new year. Worrying about the past will not help you grow. Instead, really examine your life and look at what’s going well, and how you could make it even better.

Transform your thought process and turn the hesitations into actions and improve the good aspects of your life into even greater things. Stop apologizing and dwelling on what went wrong, and start focusing on what you learned from the process to prevent mistakes in the future.

Overall, just remember that in 2017, when something isn’t going your way, or you’re feeling a little depressed, it’s not going to stay like that forever. Stop yourself in that moment and count your blessings. Look on the bright side and remember the roof over your head, your right to free speech, the meal you just ate, your loving friends and family, your health, your education, and your gift of life. You’re here for a reason, and there’s always a bright side.

Don’t criticize, don’t complain, don’t sulk, and don’t stay down.

Be positive, be grateful, smile, and spread your happiness.

The world could use a little more sunshine.